Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Child care search #3

Ok so I am commencing my third child care search. Search one resulted in the nanny who lasted 3 weeks and gave me 7 days notice... Teach me to hire a local and not to some marginalized immigrant! Search two was really a part of search one.. it was the daycare I wanted, love and now have to leave... the daycare I was waiting for when I hired nanny in August. I still feel slightly guilty that I put it to da sitter when she left that she had devasted our family with her departure.. as it turned out I was able to place her in dream daycare within the week and would have had to fire her anyway.

Guilt guilt guilt -- can I ever get enough?..

So now dream daycare's days are numbered. This small home setting with the 3,4,5 little ones has been overseen by our dear N. long enuf and now she will hatch some child care more homemade. I am really happy we did go with daycare as Baby e does all her visiting while we work and I don't have to contemplate the gymboree circut, cringe. I noticed when she first started talking that she really needed to be there.. so they can all talk their weirdo baby stuff and not have the likes of me interupt them with verbs and adjectives and junk.

So I guess I am lucky in this search I have about 3 mos to complete the job. But I am already FREAKING out. I hate arranging child care. There are many reasons including the fact that my family all seem to have the perfect answers to my problems and I am just too thick to see it their way. Too bad, isn't it?

My outcomes from a day of cold calls are as follows -- found very appealing new family/home daycare nearby, but she doesn't want to lead me on. I need to call back in January to see if she will really have a space. Found two open spaces at more dogey establishments one of which I will visit next week and hope to be pleasantly surprised. I also checked on all my USELESS waitlist positions. What is the deal with this anyway? You just can't always need a space when they have one and vice versa.. And, with most of the group centres asking for 50 bucks just to write down my name I might go broke trying to get on the second-string of their callback lists.

I am so afraid -- in this city the demand is high. I can tell by the way most people won't call you back and stuff you are really at their mercy.. Unless as in my last case I will just happen to get lucky. wish me luck.

Do I sound desparate? I'll tell you this much the very first daycare I ever visited and one I liked was a corporate one -- I immediately lied to get in. While I never backed up this lie with an application I can control my guilt but still. How can a relationship which requires so much trust be so very much grounded in fear and mistrust?

Earlier this evening I read my MPs circular and its promises about improved child care spaces... Would be nice. Too bad I don't believe a word of it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mad said...

I've been on waiting lists for day care since I was 6 months pregnant. Miss M stands a good chance of getting in by the time she is 3. Something is clearly broke in this here society.

I am happy with the two university students I toggle as in-home care right now. More importantly Miss M is giddy with adoration. Plus they come to my house. Not cheap: 20 hours is costing me as much if not a bit more than full time day care but for now it is well worth it.

The real kicker is the amount of time and money (as you rightly mention) it takes just to find something suitable let alone ideal for your child.

7:22 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home