Thursday, January 26, 2006

Recommended title : 10 minutes to bedtime / Peggy Rathmann



10 minutes till bedtime.
by Peggy Rathmann
Putnam, Scholastic, or Puffin, 1999, c1998.

Summary:
A boy's hamster leads an increasingly large group of hamsters on a tour of the boy's house, while his father counts down the minutes to bedtime.

This title may sound familiar. If you read daddytypes you might have already been over a review from the contest there in Summer 2005. While we do not entertain hamsters in our home, if we did, this book offers a fine how-to guide. As an added benefit, it has proved to be a fun part of our bedtime ritual with e. It's as if that was part of the author's plan! This book is easy to handle, simply and pleasantly illustrated, and you hardly have time to ask "where's mom?" before it's bedtime.

Subjects
Bedtime -- Fiction
Hamsters -- Fiction


Peggy Rathmann provides extra supporting content for the book at her hamster tours website.

4 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

I am so outof touch here in Japan, if it wasnt for your book reviews I wouldnt know any of these.

I grew up with a book series that I cant remember but I do recall every title starting with
-The Value of.....
They had to do with love, loyalty, comitment, blaa blaa blaa. All the stories were based on someone famous who had to try very hard to become famous.
I LOVE THEM and still have them. I plan on passing them down to my kids.
I personally think I learned tons from them.

9:46 p.m.  
Blogger the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

Great rec, mo-wo. Thanks!

And thanks for visiting mommymatic (I tried to email this but couldn't find an email addy for you on blogger). Can I blogroll you guys? (I always like to ask...)

7:20 a.m.  
Blogger mo-wo said...

Andrea

The series you mention is called Value Series.. quite a collection. 29 titles or something. Our schools still have many many holdings of these works. I'll have to try and get a look at these. You know Miss Fancy has 3 non-fiction books she likes, Sea Life, Stars and Planets and SPORT, of course. I mean ballll, ball BALL!

Non-fic for kids is underrated.

11:24 a.m.  
Blogger Heather said...

I loved those Value of . . books as a kid. My favorite was called the Value of Honesty I think, and it was about Confucius. I think we also had one about Abe Lincoln. My brothers and I read the covers off of them. They remind me a bit of Zen Shorts.

12:54 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home