Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Thematically Challenged

By way of clunky introduction, and in an effort to connect two unrelated tales (come on, you've done it) (haven't you?) for the purpose of this post... Forget the introduction. The high degree of self-reference employed at present renders any introduction useless. Did I mention I've been finishing our front door with numerous coats of varathane? In a closed area?

Our neighbour G tells a tale regarding the stand-offish attitudes of our Germanic next-door neighbours. Many months of icy stares and so on were resolved by a comment made in passing. Mr. Next Door offered one day, in passing, "You have a lovely bush." We are told the reference was not, in fact, referring to G's, um, bush, but to a delightful rhododendron which blooms twice yearly. It is a marvelous bush.

I would be much happier if this post was going somewhere. It isn't... I wonder what he thought she'd think he was addressing. Was this a test? If so, did she pass? They do possess a lovely cedar. Would it be inappropriate to tell her husband he has a nice branch? I'm not saying I will.

Last night E was slightly resistant to sleep. She exited her room a couple of times during my "Serenity Now!" (tm) breathing session, which I perform outside her door every evening say, roughly, right after I put her to bed. (Coincidence, I tell you, and nothing more.) We had a wee chat, we did, E sitting on my lap, rocking gently, and I learned a few things. I told E I loved her, and always will. Said E: You're daft as a brush. I ran to the corner and you got scared (repeated today but as a part of her schedule). The sign says "stop". I am a girl. Mommy's a girl. A is a boy. You are a boy. You have a penis! I don't want a penis. (No indeed.)

There was little I could do but hug my little girl, kiss her hair, and commend her dedication to her studies.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least she doesn't want one. That could be expensive.

10:38 a.m.  
Blogger p-man said...

and difficult to explain.

11:32 a.m.  
Blogger Mad said...

I need to get me some of that Serenity. Now. Are lessons in the offing?

7:55 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home