Sunday, February 28, 2010

Skate

I grew up in a town with little for recreation. Even less in the winter. There was nothing or skating at the rink. I was one of the few chumps who could bbbaaareely skate. I dragged myself there. These were the days before I was dateable at all really; gawky and bookish then. I was a girl who couldn't attract a decent skater suffice it to say and that was the rank for those many dark months.

Today our family went for a skate and we all had fun. Me the most. I put on my game face to teach my kids. I urged my husband a good Canadian all-star swift on ice to skate away. I love to watch him skate. Even on days that are not today.

Men are better when their feet don't touch the ground.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger nonlineargirl said...

Love the labels!

9:55 p.m.  
Blogger mo-wo said...

I think skating is especially romantic on account of it's quietness. P-man is a wicked something skater and for him to be quiet AT ALL is so rare.

... then there's the burly thing too.

9:30 a.m.  
Blogger Mad said...

L is all grace and mischief on skates. He's also the best, most patient teacher. I mostly hobble along, making do, and loving the quiet, rocking rhythm of it all.

9:32 a.m.  
Anonymous EarnestGirl said...

love this - your last line, the labels, your comment.

i skate awkwardly on my ankles & hate the cold. it is the *idea* of it that i like the most.

11:53 a.m.  
Blogger Bon said...

this was incredibly beautiful.

i loved to skate as a kid, but there was a 20 year gap, and tho i am competent now, i am graceless. Dave has all the flight of an ex-hockey player...his speed and certainty leave me breathless.

and he is teaching the big little, and it is lovely to watch.

4:43 p.m.  
Anonymous Roanne Weyermars said...

Hi There,
My name is Roanne and I am contacting you from VancouverMom.ca - a hyper-local urban site that gives moms in Metro Vancouver the unique, intelligent and beautiful side of your city.

I was checking out your blog and thought you should know that we’re putting together a list of the Ultimate 30 Blogs written by Vancouver Moms. We'll be publishing profiles of the blogs and our readers will vote on their favourite of the Ultimate 30. So, if you know of any phenomenal mom's blogging in Vancouver, we want to hear about them! Also, self nomination and shameless promotion are encouraged so consider nominating your own blog as well.

More info on who qualifies and how to nominate can be found at:

http://www.vancouvermom.ca/best-of/nominate-your-favourite-vancouver-mom-blogs/

Nominations wrap up March 28. The winner (announced on Mother's Day, May 9) will receive $100 gift certificate to www.luxe-design.com, a prize worth $50 from Raspberry Kids and bragging rights of course!

Good luck.

Roanne Weyermars
Associate Editor, VancouverMom.ca

12:05 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home