Thursday, July 14, 2011

'Work'

I seem to keep saying. I just don't know what is happening with work. I work. Full-time, Monday to Friday, but it seems be dwindling. I work in education so many, many, many of the librarians I know there would NOT have Monday to Friday jobs. We just don't allocate time that way based on our schools, at all.

But everywhere I am seeing it. Jobs downsizing. I would like to change my job but I have serious fears that if I do it will just be subsumed. I have seen this friends go on mat leave and when they come back no job, as if their contributions did not matter. Others choose to take reduced hours -- say between -- two mat leaves... then when the time comes, maybe you want to buy a house there is no full time work to help you afford it.

Are we feeling it? Is the economy gonna nibble away at every job, including the ones we work around as Moms. When we are ready to return full time will there be such a thing?

I have lots of people who tell me how much they love being part time or how they will never work full time but this baffles me. Am I an alien that I expect employers to offer a solid basis of full time positions for people in their operations? I hate when people act like full time is TOO MUCH. It isn't for me (well it is really) and it shouldn't be for anyone. If it is there is something kind outta whack with 'work' there?? I mean I feel grateful I don't work two jobs or 14 hours like many immigrant families. Basic full time being eroded is something to think about. What is the future?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger L. said...

Ha, to the people who told me that fulltime outside-the-home work was TOO MUCH, I always said that full-time motherhood was TOO MUCH for me, and to each her own. And yet, I never stopped being a mother -- even when I was at work. (And the funniest part is, I never stopped being a reporter, even when I wasn't working!) Different strokes, etc.
But the concern about general job evaporation is a valid one.

6:50 a.m.  
Anonymous clara said...

Depends on your work, I guess. Money-work or love-work. You have love-work. I have money-work. Maybe more people have money-work than love-work? So yeah, full time is too much. It's one thing when you just go, work, spend the money, take your vacation. Add kids and there's more at stake. Money-work is good, but it wastes me. I am wasted. Wasted by the home-work too, but at least I see the greater good in that.

Solution: encourage kids to do what they love and be what they want, so that someday they are happy & productive AND making money...the full-time job will not be eroded. Fewer accountants! More __ and __ s!

7:31 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home