Saturday, April 08, 2006

Recommended title: Sport-- players, games & spectacle.



Sport-- players, games & spectacle.
by Barrett, Norman S.
F. Watts, 1993.

Subjects
Sports -- History

ISBN: 0531142809 (lib. bdg.); 0531152626; 0531157075 (pbk.)
Series: Timelines

I suggest this book for really only one reason. To scream to YOOUUU... get your children some non-fiction already?? I notice the kiddie bookshelves are ALWAYS dominated by fiction. Understandable, yes. Ubiquitous... cmon!

Outside of a scant few DK photo books I didn't have any non-fic for Miss Fancy until she was about 10 mos. Why not? And this book .. Sport... well it is all different kinds of balls to learn about, how great is that?? She loves it. Maybe more than her Stars and Planets book, or the Book of Oceans. Some of the relatives are really happy she already with familiar with all manner of sport, including hockey, of course.

My Dad is an atlas collector and his interest got me thinking non-ficttion for my 'if I wrote a children's book' it would be... Has anyone ever seen an atlas for the under 5 set? I would want to do it with downloadable city maps for kids in many major centres. You know how you can get those 3D tourist maps, those guys could likely adapt content for the project. At 16 mos. e. started learning some of the street names around here and she loves knowing where she is.. I think a book like this would be a hit. What do you think?

ps... So Sweet Juniper's Wood put out the challenge to find kids books with NO ANIMALS... this book qualifies but it is not entirely in the "infant's book" category I think the contest rules imply. I am working on the bibliography for anti-earthling kiddie lit, chime in on any of your favorites. So far I have this and this.. but there are strong arguments against #2 because it is really about how living with boys is like living in a ZOO!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger L. said...

This was one of my favorites when I was small:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0395181569/103-7110809-8758230?v=glance&n=283155

10:35 a.m.  
Blogger Heather said...

I loved The Little House when I was a kid too. I also loved Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel.

We have one board book for little kids that has no animals: The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats. I loved it when I was little, and I was so pleased to find a board book copy for Miles. He loves it too.

8:58 a.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

um, whaddaya mean anti-earthling?

And as far as nonfic for preschoolers, I do like the good old Gail Gibbons and Anne Rockwell ones, and there are also a host of photo-based ones, like: Shelley Rotner's books of moms, dads, boats, etc.; Robert Maas' great seasonal ones,; or Walter Wick's most amazing water book (Drop of Water).

6:01 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home