Thursday, December 14, 2006

Non Sequitur

I don't know if we have been clear about exactly how big our son is. (I know you get it Stef...) He was big when he was born. And, he's got a bit bigger since then. Currently he's like 20+ lbs and not even five months old. A lot of folks expressed their ouch-sympathies for me when I delivered him. But what about now? I have a kid roughly the size of some one-year-olds and he only started sitting up -- sort of -- yesterday. Please remember we are pretty unfit parents so sometimes it doan go so good, eh?

My doctor was all over it that I watch out for carpel tunnel just breastfeeding him. I tell everyone who wants a snuggle, lift with your knees and p-man well he makes them sign a disclaimer. A couple weeks ago I thought I'd just pack him into the Baby Bjorn, toss a backpack of diapers on and take my daughter by the hand for a shopping trip. Try stupid plus OUCH!

There are times during the breastfeeding when I'm sure I can feel the enamel peeling from my teeth. Dissolving in my saliva and into the milk he drinks. Praise be for the pablum on the menu this week. (And, I now await my second dental crown! I have a theory about teeth and breastfeeding, they ain't just suckin' my brain cells out of me it seems.)

You know when p-man comes home I hand him the child like many a mother does. But I do it not out of mental exhaustion rather it is out of plain jane physical exhaustion.

You know if he'd been a girl I wanted to call him Jane.

ps.. for the latest cute blogger baby picture click here

9 Comments:

Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

Both mine were big when they were born, but they sort of balanced out as they grew....

I cannot imagine your pain.

12:24 a.m.  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

So, he weighs, like, a pound or two less than WonderBaby. DAMN.

And. Jane was at the top of our name list for a long time.

7:05 a.m.  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Since my wee peanut of a girl weighs in at around 23 lbs at 20 months I cannot fathom the idea of a five month old/20+lb baby. My back is hurting for you. Ouch.

7:23 a.m.  
Blogger Sandra said...

He sounds like my friend's son. He is now 5 but as big as most 8 year olds. I once babysat for her when he was about 6 months old (our kids are 2 weeks apart in age) and I was so used to carrying around my wee one that when I picked him up, I almost dropped him and ended up pulling something in my shoulder!! P-man's waivers are smart :)

But he is so cute ... so damn cute that little (um not so little) guy :)

7:51 a.m.  
Blogger nonlineargirl said...

It is weird, with the big ones you have the pain of it, but also the pride of "my kid is the biggest". Ada is not on par with your boy, but she is bigger than any other girl (her age) we've met, and as big as most of the boys. The pride (and why, so what?) balances the achy knees a bit.

8:34 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My little guy is only 24lbs at age 3.5 years. I try not to get bitchy when people complain about their big babies, but really you should be thankful that he is so healthy.

10:35 a.m.  
Blogger Mad said...

Mine was tiny. She wanted to be held ALL THE TIME for the first 18 months. I had time to develop those muscles and still I complained and complained and complained. Your poor back. Your poor fronts.

7:50 p.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Ha, I'm still popping calcium supps a year and a half after weaning because I'm convinced my bones were totally stripped. Freakish and paranoid, maybe, but...

8:21 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

foo was tiny as a hummingbird, still is. 24# @ 2.5yrs. bub's only 8 wks and 13#. he eats every hour or so. this artrangement will keep one on her toes no doubt. you give me so much to look forward to. you should have a good chiropractor. "lift with you knees" - you guys are pretty funny unfit parents. xobmc

10:55 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home