Tuesday, December 26, 2006

One Less Car

In the scurry to hack through the Christmas to-do list here was my last Tuesday...

My parents had the toddler so I was free and easy running errands with the infant. Needless to say I was running approximately 2 hours late from the get go. I had seven stops to make. I bought lunch in the McDonald's Drive Thru.

I hate McDonald's but it was the only food option suitable for the baby-nap-format/routes-around-seven-stops in 2.5 hours challenge.

To go to the main post office I had to loop through downtown. Downtown where I used to work before I was all propertied and childrened up. As I choked down my fries my head was in an endless swivel. God, don't let me be spotted, I thought. I was shivering in my style-less boots. Don't let one of those gothish-erstwhile-coworking-pals of mine catch sight of me. Their clinical judgement I imagined as follows. Imagine the tone in the Benderism 'squeeze out a few puppies' speech...

Oh, there she is. Figures. I saw her destroying the planet with her gas guzzling minivan; who cares it's Japanese. She was stuffing her face with McDonald's fries. I bet she doesn't even vote NDP anymore. Fucking Ignatieff Liberals. Gawd those sort of people all eat GM foods... and meat! You know I saw she had a baby in there!

As I drove along Dunsmuir street I passed Holy Rosary and a homeless guy had his hat out. I gave him my change from Mc Donald's lunch and felt fine again.

4 Comments:

Blogger ms blue said...

It would be a crime not to have a baby in that minivan. (Or at least a car seat!)

I feel the pain. Pass the fries.

2:37 p.m.  
Blogger L. said...

I drive a Japanese minivan, too. One must be secure as far as one`s self-esteem to drive a minivan -- it`s a badge that proclaims," Look on my minivan, ye mighty and despair." It`s like wearing sandals with socks, or putting ketchup on scrambled eggs in a nice restaurant.

11:05 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah...i know exactly what you mean.

but damn if fries aren't good.

2:29 p.m.  
Blogger Sandra said...

Oh how I get this ... and I have a weakness for McD's fries. Happy New Year to you, P-man and those cute kids!!!

5:08 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home