Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Values

There was a somewhat interesting discussion CBC radio yesterday about celebrity news reporting. I was intrigued and somewhat swayed by Vanessa Richmond asking us to suppose that people like celebrity gossip because it is a conduit to discussing values.

Ms. Richmond goes on to suggest that our society is rife with the need to discuss our values. To clarify and discern where we stand on issues of gender, and law, and parenting and meritorious power.

Do you agree? Do you think we live in a society that needs to discuss values?

EUWWWW.

As one recently distanced from the purely secular experience of young-urban-professionaling I am scared shitless of all the value-steeped challenges child-rearing engenders. I am intimitated and dismayed to face the concrete need to enact values. I suddenly, it seems, must deal with a small human who, not so plaintively, looks at me as if there is some 'system' of values and, you know, I don't always have any of the relevant material. I suppose talking about it might help me? I suppose that is a little what this blogging is. (more to come on that one..)

But supposition is sort of a waste, don't you think?

There was a time when values were rigid and prescribed. Sometimes I want to get back there, just a little... I imagine that it was easier... but hardly better as things often are.

5 Comments:

Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

This is EXACTLY what I miss about Catholicism - the clarity. The *moral* clarity. Of course, have any kind of nuance-chip in one's brain renders that sort of clarity problematic, but still. T'would just be so much easier to think that I knew all the answers.

7:41 a.m.  
Blogger Mad said...

Values. Ewwww. But if you were to state it a different way: blogging helps me figure out where I sit in this world in relation to other people and other ways of being. It also helps to transform me in small and miraculous ways by having insight into how other people think and live. I guess that's values, right?

8:59 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Values all come down to "be excellent to each other."

10:17 a.m.  
Blogger mo-wo said...

Oh that anon. in there with the good material since time immemorial. I will mention that to my 2 year old... I figure if I hammer it for about 18 years or so it will help a lot.

Agreed.

Yes, Mad I think what you see is what I see.

10:41 a.m.  
Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

people like all the celebrity trash news because it makes it look like they have higher moral values than the celebs do...false sense of goodness.

2:56 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home