Sunday, June 03, 2007

Bad Blogger Confessional

As a titular blog contributor to the fabulously rhetorical BlogRhet... I got tagged for the reflective blogging post going around. Hmmmmm.....

I think I answer all the questions? Oh, fuck this ain't an interview. I can just talk, right? Here is what I say in response.

1. Early Posting
In late 2005 I was pretty traumatized by the turns my new parenthood had taken. Namely, life as a working mom and suddenly a working pregnant mom. Make that a pregnant working mom with a job share arrangement that just fell apart and childcare in total flux. I was, as the cliche goes, overwhelmed.

I found blogging a help with fears and uncertainties these things gave rise to in me. I started this blog 1.) to have a clear identity when commenting on what I considered to be 'the real blogs' and 2.) as a writing exercise to reason out(?) my inner tensions.

I have never meant this blog to be for my kids. It is really about me, me, me! I was my own audience. Myself and my husband. This blog was certainly a useful device for us to say things to the world and each other. I really liked those early posts when we were inmate and visitor, in turn, talking through the glass. I still like that about, what is now, our blog.

2. Your first
I mean you always remember your first, right? My first comment was a thrill. It was a luxurious bit of attention. I had asked the Sarcastic Journalist for a bit of coaching before I started the blog and she was nice enough to write me back. I guess she was curious after and she did look me up.

SJ was my first comment and she said a picture of my daughter and I was beautiful.

I was delighted. Am delighted. (Later I used the pic again and my beloved L. said I had nice shoulders. You should expect me to use this photo every year from now on. I need the feather stroking.

3. Conversations
In March 2006 our Who do you blog for? Quiz managed to get Dutch to publicly announce that an unexamined life is not worth living. Shocking. With that I believe he stopped reading our blog, phew.

Then on the upswing the post caught a bit of stardust off MommyBlogger heavy, Kristen, at Motherhood Uncensored. She even dubbed me a fabulous mom, heh those were the days. This event turned us to a broad range of bleaders and changed our blogging. Sure.

Oh that and the impending birth of our second child some four months hence.

4. The final question.. Do you think that this sense of audience or community might have affected the way you began to write?

As I have said I was initially my own audience. I would say that my experience and interaction with the ineffable community out there has changed things. I am, to use a dainty hyperbole, overwrought at times that I cannot serve the community adequately. (There are whaa-hey-ya toooo many good blogs to read these days. I might have a breakdown with all I know now.) I have to admit at times to publishing just to feed the beast. To meet that subtle Thursday deadline when really it's easier for me to write on Fridays. But who reads blogs on Saturday? I have to confess that the very persistence of this blog is the affect on my writing because I am not a liar when I need to say 'twice the children, half the blog'. I enjoy writing this meme if for no other reason as an opportunity to confess (and come to terms with) the lesser bloggedness where I am of late.

Not to say that we don't have some gems at times. Thanks a million, Mad. You're the best.

*** And now to tag. You know I hate tagging but I am a conformist so what BlogRhet wants, BlogRhet gets. I am pretty curious about what the answers to these questions would be for Mrs. Fortune she tends to cut the crap. And, what about you Liz Mom-101? Do 400 comment getters remember their first? (hey I know you're busy but it might double as presention prep?). Plus, as a tribute to our bygone blogging days I'll tag Heather back from that post that got us exposed.

Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Mad said...

You're right! You do have great shoulders. As for the rest, I dunno, I just like coming here. I like you and the P-man. I think you are good people.

7:45 a.m.  
Blogger jdg said...

I never said that.

11:06 a.m.  
Blogger NotSoSage said...

Half the blog means less hand-wringing on the part of loyal readers who CAN read your every, lovely post. Why does everyone in the blogosphere have to be so damn prolific? ;)

Off to see your shoulders (do they look like Maggie Gyllenhaal's?).

6:22 p.m.  
Blogger L. said...

I would give you my firstborn child, to have your shoulders. No, really -- take him! Please!

9:30 p.m.  
Blogger Heather Bea said...

That was so long ago. I will put my answers up today. It has been awhile since I posted, good time to look back and remember what got me started.

10:58 a.m.  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hey there! I just found you via this meme, which I just completed myself (obviously running a bit behind) and now am back to read the others. Its nice to "meet" you. :)

12:35 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MInDjq Very good blog! Thanks!

7:50 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

iLIgNC Thanks to author.

10:56 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello all!

11:44 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

1:37 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

2:39 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

4:11 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to author.

8:50 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

9:55 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magnific!

10:46 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello all!

11:31 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TPnwgw write more, thanks.

12:36 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home