Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Apples and Oranges


I was at a job interview yesterday. One question went like this...

"Give us an example of a time when you had to think strategically?"

I quickly supplied a workplace example from last year. This morning all I have been thinking is that I should have used a day with two children under 3 as my example. When do I not think stategically?

When I was in Library school our director, a man by the way, made the point that mothers underrate their transferrable skills in the workplace. I think this is true. Tell me, have you ever linked motherhood and your marketability as an employee? Maybe I should update my resume to show my B.A. plus my M.L.I.S plus my M.O.M.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger kittenpie said...

What an interesting point... so often people think it's the opposite! (And I suck at those "Tell us about a time when..." questions.)

3:43 p.m.  
Blogger NotSoSage said...

Someone mentioned something about this the other day. It's funny because there's a lot of pressure NOT to talk about kids (or to downplay their importance) in the workplace.

But I'm not sure that "re-learning how to pick things up with toes" looks all that good on a resume.

6:35 p.m.  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

An M.O.M. should be more marketable than it currently is. I'd like to see some of those so called Captains of Industry multi-task like we do everyday.

6:06 p.m.  
Blogger Mad said...

The thing is, NONE of my coworkers hang off my sweater and wail uncontrollably simply b/c I prioritized making dinner. Motherhood makes librarianship seem like a cinch.

7:37 p.m.  
Blogger nonlineargirl said...

Part of my job involves working with legislators, so yes, it is like being with children.

7:46 p.m.  
Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

Delegation
Prioritizing
Delegating
Negotiation skills....
Multi tasking

The list is endless

11:14 a.m.  
Blogger Bon said...

i have a job interview this coming friday...and it'll be my first since O was born. and i've been thinking about those "tell us a time" questions all week, and thinking "how can i not answer with something mommy-ish?" because seriously, that's where all my best strategic thinking has been done, EVER.

so it just remains to be seen whether i really have the courage to use those examples.

11:09 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home