Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Tuna Sandwiches

In recent weeks I have sort of felt crushed under the weight of our family to do lists. I suffer for time. We have a lot of times to keep track of in a day. Bedtime, naptime, bathroom breaks, breakfasts, storytimes, earthworm hunting, etc. etc. I look for minutes here and there. I am always behind.

Awhile back I took a hatchet to our family routine when it comes to shopping. That's it I said no more running out for a couple things. Grocery shopping is to be done twice a week, max. If we run out of ham for sandwiches sorry kids tuna is a fine substitute. Dinners gotta come from the freezer and when in doubt chick pea curry. We haven't lived like this since grad school and you know what? It's great. We must have gained about 6 or 7 hours in our week by doing this. We are not wasting food like we were before. And, I might even say we are eating better than we were.

So tell me. Are we late to party on this one? Do you guys all do this? If so, why didn't you tell us? And, what other great time saving secrets are you keeping from us.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Mad said...

My husband in addition to being contemptible in other ways is a grocery-shopping drill seargeant. We buy groceries once a week and only pop out to get extra milk if we run out. He knows what he will cook in advance. We make lists. It is dizzying.

When MadDad (god, I love you for that one) moved down east a year ahead of me, I spent the entire year humming the Clash: "I'm so lost in the supermarket. I can no longer shop hap-ily." Seriously, it was as if I didn't know how to feed myself.

Other time saving tricks: oh I wish I knew.

9:28 a.m.  
Blogger NotSoSage said...

Oh, we're still stuck in this one. We're both fans of the European shopping mentality -- you buy for the meal on the day that you're eating it. In all honesty, I think we're being less wasteful doing it that way. I'm notorious for buying something at the grocery store with the best of intentions for the rest of the week and then finding it rotting in the fridge two weeks later.

11:51 a.m.  
Blogger nonlineargirl said...

We have long had a big shopping day on sunday. Now we live 2 blocks from an upscale grocery that we don't use as our main grocery, but it gets used as the "oh I forgot" store a lot. Or the "let Ada run around grabbing things off shelves and eating free cheese" store. Whichever.

1:12 p.m.  
Blogger Denver Dad said...

We try to do big trips, because our local grocery store sometimes rewards that with discounts, but I'm much more of a "I'm making blah-blah-blah today, so I need to go and pick up..." kind of person. I hate to say it, but some days when I'm home with Chunk, it's nice to have an errand to get out into the real world for a while.

2:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I try to keep a freezer and pantry full of lunch friendly things....carrots, dip, frozen chicken nuggets, and my pasta sauce all frozen in little bowls.

We do the tuna thing too and then twice a week usually hit the store for fresh stuff like deli meats and fruit...ok apples as that is ALL they are eating right now.

Dinners are pretty basic during the week..better now that we are bbqing.

I do fancier on the weekends.

But yeah...has to be things that can be thawed in the microwave.

7:37 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home