Monday, May 14, 2007

Pump it Up

I pump breastmilk sort of 3 or 4 times a week. I don't like it really. And I often wonder... why am I doing this? We don't need the milk for bottles or anything as our near 10 month old gets off-boob nutrition through yoghurt and peas and baby splat, papadams and pilau rice with dahl! He's a good eater.

I pump milk to mix with infant cereal. Do I need to do this? I have never been sure when to 'stop' pablum stuff and I have likewise never been sure if I need to keep mixing it with breastmilk.

What do you guys know? Think?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicholas gave up on baby cereal early. He wanted what Daniel got and by 11 months, we gave in. The big thing with the baby cereal is iron and my boys are such carnivores that I decided not to worry - I also think that cheerios are pretty iron rich (as is whole grain bread). I say give up the pump and if the child still wants the baby cereal you can use water to mix it - we did that the whole time we were in hawaii and it seemed to work just fine.

3:58 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

formula for cereal all the way for me, have to say. i nurse also, but i just can't abide the pump any more.

1:09 p.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

I fed baby cereal for quite a while and always mixed with breast milk for two reasons:
1) I wasn't starting cow milk till 11.5 months
2) I was pumping anyhow, so what the hell.

3:44 p.m.  
Blogger Lumpyheadsmom said...

Here's what I know: pumping sucks.

Here's what I think: you can stop pumping whenever you just can't take it any more.

6:44 a.m.  
Blogger L. said...

I agree with Lumpyheadsmom -- at this point it`s just as much a family lifestyle question as a nutrition question.

4:32 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohhh I hated the dreaded pump! So when baby #2 came along, I didn't....no pumping, no bottles and NO infant cereal! If they're good eaters, and both mine were, they can get all the nutrients they need from that. Besides, breastmilk has everything they need until age 1 anyway, infant cereal is a marketing ploy to make Nestle rich. ;)

11:16 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home