Monday, December 10, 2007

Recommended Title: How Many Miles to Bethlehem


How many miles to Bethlehem? / Kevin Crossley-Holland ; illustrated by Peter Malone.
Orion, 2004.

ISBN: 1842552775

This Christmas we acquired a copy of this excellent book of the Nativity. Clever and poetic text conveys the story from the points of view of many participants, the Mother Mary, the Shepherds, the Sheep, the Donkey in the stable, etc etc. I think good religious works are actually about many points of view so this is religious story that's right up my alley.

If you are looking for a beautiful book to discuss the mystical aspects of the Christmas tradition this one is a must-have. Though I might just be a sucker for the gorgeous figurative images that play on my own baggage as an Eastern-rite Catholic and graduate of a medieval studies program.

As with all our recommended titles, a really nice book. Check it out at your library or buy it at your local bookstore this Christmas.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Mad said...

I'll have to go hunting for this one. I'm a sucker for Jean Little's Pippin the Christmas Pig.

10:40 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home