Sunday, November 25, 2007

Full Up

I was explaining a little something about going back to work to p-man last night. I really do feel there is a certain stigma that I am going back to work full-time. That is a question I get a lot... "Are you going back 'full time'? Eye brow raised.

Yes. I reply, downward glance of shame.

I don't like that really but I do understand it. We live in such a frickin' literal culture. I know they are all thinking that if I give a full day at the office I won't have anything left for the kids. Hahahahaha.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Mad said...

Yes, I know of which you speak. I know because I work half-time and so many people feel free to spill over about how lucky or conscientious (depending on their world-view) a mother I am. Somehow, I always feel like someone never able to accomplish anything but that is my projecting onto my own bad work/home habits more than anything else.

5:13 p.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Uh, yeah. It's never that cut and dried, is it? We can't leave it all at home, we can't leave it all at work. It's all a big delightful mashup. I admit that if I had no need to worry about things like benefits or pensions or mortgages, I would think half-time ideal, but I certainly don't see full-time as so draining that my child is suffering, either. We work it out. Child gives a little, work gives a little, we give a lot.

(And is it me, or do you somehow find that work can be awfully restorative on occasion?)

6:34 p.m.  
Blogger L. said...

I love saying it, I admit it.

"I work FULLTIME."

And instead of shame, I have perfected a look that says, "SO???"

I went back to work FULLTIME when my youngest was 14 weeks old. I know it wouldn't have been right for everyone, but it was right for me -- and by extension, right for my family, too.

9:27 p.m.  
Blogger NotSoSage said...

I hate it. I hate the wars...but I also, I think, hate how I feel when people ask because I wish it were otherwise. Sigh.

8:53 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home