Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Mother-Woman Unmasked

I must tonight give special attention to volunteerism brought to us by Jen and Mad. It has been a good while I have been mulling over what part I would play in this social justice campaign. But ultimately it seems I won't make the cut this draft season.

I love volunteering. Some of you know that I have done it before. But I don't think this is the year for organized action for me. This is the watershed year for Mother-Woman and that is all I have to give. It is a case of charity beginning at home.

I am not working. I have some childcare. Should be a perfect year to get out there, as they say. But I don't want to be a leader I want to be a superhero. I am filled with ego and optimism. I am out to find my own cape and shine up the MoWo on my leotard. What I am out to do?

Well let's say tonight I will wrap a day tending to my family to make two meals for my dear mama friend who gave birth last Saturday night. Monday I have to take over some more baking for the lunches of my daughter's good friend who has a baby brother in hospital going on a month now. I want to shower my old high school pal with the unconditional support she seems to be needing in her third month of motherhood. And, let's see who else... I am pretty committed to developing the childcare swap on the street that we've all talked about for a year now. Then there are my in-laws; they want a bunch of tech support and I am glad to have the chance to not hesitate this time. Today my friend and I discussed how she could convert part of the landscaped grounds of her co-op into a communal vegetable garden. I look forward to helping with that. I want to see CC and do whatever on the fly not having that age old what's the best time for the kids debate. Hell, I might even make it church as often as Father Joe likes?

For years I have envisioned how I wanted to live and not actually lived it. I have been boxed and busy and tied to that pervasive term stressed. For now, I am not. I don't think this will last long. But I have it now. Delerium is at my heels. I say I want to do something for someone, or with someone, I love and you know what? I just do it. I am experiencing that indefatigable love I so admire in others. It is all I want for now. To be Mother-Woman, strong and pure; there to help and to listen, to support and to give. Superfriend. Wind in my hair and alturism aflutter in my heart... and maybe just maybe a hot purple jumpsuit.


It is pretty micro but it is where I am at. And, I will do all this for the love of giving. Not for the glory. 'Cept on the blog 'course.

Now get thee to the macro.

Addendum
I am looking into volunteering at the library at my local elementary school. I know, from my business, that they need help all the time and it seems a good way to get to know the school as we close in on kindergarten. I'll update you as that develops.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Mad said...

Oooo, it's too bad this wasn't up in time to get on the list. It is marvelous. BTW, I already dream about you and NOW you add thoughts of a purple jumpsuit! Oy.

10:49 a.m.  
Blogger p-man said...

Me too.

1:07 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You at least need the vinyl boots.

I too want to see you....I have been having a hard time figuring out how to make arrangements these days.

Brain freeze or something.

And remember...good intentions and all, take time for you and to make YOU feel good.

2:57 p.m.  
Blogger nonlineargirl said...

It sounds great to me to actually use your time for the things we all say we want to do, if only we had the time. Helping friends and family in a generous, unconditional way is fantastic. When I do it I am always glad, but so often I think I can't because I don't have the time.

11:06 p.m.  
Blogger Keeping It Real said...

Volunteering is great. I took on some volunteer duties last year but found myself overwhelmed, what with work and my family duties and all. So I had to let some things go. Can't do it all.

Still working (serving) at my church and helping out a friend who just gave birth.

BTW, I saw you over at Alpha Dogma.

7:50 a.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Of COURSE you used Batwoman. Being as she is a librarian and all...

And you know, a bunch of small projects bringing love and aid to those you love and small improvements to your own community is a wonderful way to go.

2:29 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home