Wednesday, March 18, 2009

It isn't that long a stay

I remember entirely to clearly for my twenties the figure of Daniel looking for K that night. A massive raggedy twenty-two year old friend skittering about the building then looming, have you seen her? K's mother had just died -- suddenly and too young -- from a stroke. I don't remember the details, I remember the sight of Daniel; and, then those days later my friend and neighbour, K.

I know it is trite to lump all us mothers together but I guess won't resist the tritely-temptation tonight. Despite all the far, far, away about Natasha Richardson she seemed a very genuine, lovely person. I expected to hear from you, SB, on those two well named Neeson boys' mother as you're so often our Hollywood correspondent. (Things ok up North tonight?) I tend to over-analyse which pieces of news I follow and which I don't. I don't ever really read the celeb pages -- I didn't know Richardson and Neeson were a couple even. It stuck out how I couldn't ignore this one family's sad news, the last couple days I have carried a little hope for her in my heart that this story would turn.

Among all the accomplishments and accolades of a thoroughly likable star... Natasha Richardson, actor of stage and screen, Brit society luminary, wife of a Jedi... mother-woman. Prayers there.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, can not imagine the grief of Natasha Richardson's (or "Mrs Qui-Gon Jinn" as she is known in my house) family especially those 2 well-named boys. They're so young! And it happened so quickly! It's boggling.

I was going to write a post called, "Didn't we all think that Lindsay Lohan would be the first cast member from "The Parent Trap" to kick the bucket?" But I never developed it beyond the title. Maybe I'll just twitter it instead.

8:57 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt your post like a kick this morning.

I think about my mother all the time but the details of that night, that surreal night, after which nothing was ever the same again, had faded. Can you believe its 12 years next week?

To feel that again, even fleetingly is so important because it firms my resolve to ensure that I don't make the mistake of my mother. She was always waiting to do what she wanted to do - there was always another day, until there wasn't.

We live for today in my little clan. We say "I love you" every day so that no one will ever question that love later.

Hey Mo, even though we NEVER see each other, I'm still your friend and neighbour and I'm so grateful for this reminder of why I am the way I am.

Your nudge has inspired me - we were thinking of leaving town for the Olympics (I hate crowds and Mike hates traffic) - Today, I am going to book a condo in Maui for the month of February (come and visit?).

Kiss those children for me.

K

7:30 a.m.  
Blogger Mad said...

This post was very moving. Mother-woman all. K's comment too was very touching.

7:46 a.m.  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

The whole tragedy is so upsetting. I feel for those boys and for her husband. Just so sad.

5:24 p.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

I think it's always extra shocking when the person is relatively young, the death swift and unforeseen, but especially when it is something that could happen to nearly anyone and doesn't seem like it should cause something as drasticv as death.

8:47 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home