Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Parenting Bad Habit Confessional #2: Who's bedtime routine is it anyway?




A couple weeks ago I had a bath. That was weird.

Don't get me wrong I have had plenty of showers since then and baths even -- but a couple weeks ago I had a bath, BY MYSELF. I realized I don't do that much anymore. Because we still take baths with our girl.

Earlier this evening P-man said to me, "I'm IN tonight." When he says it I can detect some relief, or something.

Ever since e was 6 weeks old we have taken turns taking her into the bath before bedtime. Excepting those early months when I still was dumb enough to let p-man have activities while I put the baby to bed!! Still had the bath but the turns part was sort of out.

Why do we do this? Well, exactly.

We didn't really like using the baby bath and she seemed to enjoy the fun of the big tub. But, more than anything it seems likely that the bath helps Mama and Daddy unwind. It is certainly easier than stooping over the tub and trying to control a slippery infant. Unlike some people we have never had any Merseygoldfish incidents in our tub either. Quite obviously OUR WAY this is the best way.

So why I am I embarrassed about it?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

We hated the baby bathtub too, and started taking a bath with Miles early on. And now we are still getting in there with him even though he is probably old enough to be in there by himself. A while ago I bought one of those plastic bath seat things thinking that maybe it was time for us to stop bathing with him. We used it maybe three times, and now it is in the sell-on-ebay pile. I missed being in there with him. Most nights Brian does the bath, and I am always relieved when he makes it home to do it because I get a break. But when I do do the bath, I always love it. There is just something about relaxing in the warm water while Miles throws plastic toys, chants "duh duh duh" at the rubber duck, dives at my chest trying to nurse, and chews on the soap bottle. And dang he is cute when he is naked.

8:40 a.m.  
Blogger jdg said...

we do the same thing. every night.

10:15 a.m.  
Blogger Andrea said...

My daughter and I started having baths together when she was six weeks old and I love it. We brush our teeth together and throw the ball. Right now she is learning how to put her nose underwater and blow out. It is also a wonderful way for me to sit for 20 minutes and do as little action as possible. We have a bath almost every night. It is great!
I gave away the baby bath thing a loooonnnggg time ago.

11:43 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya, I'm a big fan of the bath. I think that, pre-kid, I thought the whole bathing-with-kid thing was a bit off. But, then, pre-kid I thought the whole wiping-someone-else's-ass thing was a bit off, too. But now - especially now, like this week, or any week like it, when I'm busy as shit - if I can make it home and scoop that crusty-faced kid out of his high chair and go soak with him for 10 minutes ... that's geeewd stuff. We have a good time. I'm always so sad that it has to end. With Miles screaming his fucking ass off. Because he hates being diapered. And pajama-ed. But oh that bath ...

6:02 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home