Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Post-partum happiness

So the power of positive thinking is holding out. Papa-Man was back at work this week and yet I am still surviving. Whoa -- I was a bit surprised that my recent post seemed to really strike some nerve or chord or something with folks who have kind concerns about new Moms. Really all I was saying in my #2 comment was that I can't take people taking down my nerve. I need to sustain my powers of positive thinking and duh some confidence... I know the fearlessness. Only because I know the fear. Resist.

I noted in my comments on the comments that it is PERHAPS sorry news that just as so many have worked to ensure systems no longer abnormalize pregnancy.. post-partum life is so consistently feared. I have spent time since the post contemplating the necessity of keeping my nerve.. my confidence.. my post-partum happiness off the blog. But, in the words of my daughter, FUCK IT.

I am lucky. There were times my pregnancy was not going well. I had real fears for my baby. Today we are all well. I can spend an afternoon lazing with him. Feeding him and biding the time while he cannot sleep for the the horrible burps inside. I do this without resentment. I need not fear my husband will be home late angered no dinner is ready. Those things take care of themselves. These two not entirely...


Please remember these eyes when you accuse me of being unfair. Who exactly am I unfair to try for better than subsistence at this time?

ps... if you have kick-diaphragm burping methods the Wo family wants your tips!

8 Comments:

Blogger kittenpie said...

I'm glad your taking such a sane, relaxed approach and going along nicely. You sound so serene. I love hearing that.

My mom always said for me she'd put me across her knees facedown and rub or pat my back to burp.

4:52 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing you can jus' keep on bloggin' mama!

Burpy baby tips:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp#T051208

See:
8. COLIC CARRIES

5:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

More power to you, Woman! No burping tips, just big props on the post-partum bliss.

I get lots of incredulous 'how will you manage?' sentiments from well-meaning but clueless people, too.

Your children are gorgeous!!

5:24 p.m.  
Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

The most amazing part of being home with no.2 baby is the calm.

No panic. No fear. No 'oh what have i done?'

Just you and your kids.

8:01 p.m.  
Blogger Lumpyheadsmom said...

They are SO cute.

The fear of being the mother of two is lurking ominously for me. I try not to think about it, for the most part, but at some point it's gonna be a reality. I know it's manageable, but I'm really worried.

Your positive attitude is really buoying me on this front. So, thanks.

12:45 a.m.  
Blogger BITE MY COOKIE said...

miss fancy is breathtaking. and d'qwell is looking healthy and robust. and you sound quite well-adjusted. i think we'll all come up for a languange and parenting seminar. and usually if i want to burp i just have a few sips of coke. try that ; )

12:30 p.m.  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

You are brilliant and SANE and I love it and you.

I so needed to read this today.

(and burping? we found face-down football hold on manly forearms was a no-fail.)

3:54 p.m.  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I like the cut of your jib, lady. I think I said that to you once before on a previous post, but I don't care because I really like your attitude. I think I've also told you in the past that you and p-man make beautiful babies and I'm going to tell you again... They're gorgeous!

Oh, the football hold worked for a colicky Chicky Baby. Walk around the house with the baby, belly down, across your forearm cradling his head in your palm.

6:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home