Thursday, July 27, 2006

Shhhhhh......

Shhhhhh...... everyone is sleeping; so, maybe I have mo' to talk to you guys. Are you ok? We're you worried? Did you think I was just going to give him the blog now that I am outnumbered by offspring?

Possibly.

I am well, just busy. I think it is starting to level out the expectations/efforts realistic to this scenario. Main thing is that today I got more than a couple fleeting moments to cuddle with each of the kids, it was great; everything SAHM'ing can be about.

Yes, the obligatory glorious birth story is in draft. Yes, I have me fears about my adventures in solo parenting next week.. you'll hear all about it. For now here's the Cook's tour of my not-so-new, aka latest and greatest, mommyhood.

1. It was hot last week. I am quite surprised my son recovered his birth weight in 10 days based on the langres-emulation lactation product on offer.

2. If one more dumbass stomps my bliss with some 'how are you coping' question I am gonna blow! You, know I get sick of the whole parenting as complaint-vehicle at the best of times but when I am all proud of the fact we eat 3 squares a day while being still completely clueless about how this is all supposed to work it really, really, really pisses me off. It sort of goes like this...

Well meaning twit: Ah, how are you surviving?
Snotty know it all mom, inner dialogue: Well, pretty good considering the fact I have just wasted .15 of the my rec. time of the day on someone who does not get that I LIKE my family. Have you seen my kid? He's great! Me, I feel well after squatting a noggin' a foot and a half around out my area! ... We are spoiled shitless.

I am surviving fine, dumbass*!

3. It was hot last week, still is sort of... But, you know I had a revelation. There is vodka in the freezer and I may drink it!

4. Something about the way Miss Fancy says soapy residue makes me imagine a 7 foot tall Mr. Clean funded character on a cartoon show. And, now introducing the latest superhero Soapy Residue!

5. Miss Fancy says fuck it now. As in, sitting in restaurant for Grandpa's birthday... Fuck it! Hee hee. Fuck it, Grandpa. Say it! I really think p-man should go back to work, already. He has been a big help sure, but it seems his work is done here. (Grandpa, of course thought this was really funny shit. Great!)

Thanks again everyone for the nice notes and comments we got quality readership round here; love you guys.

ps... at my end of work farewell dinner I was described in a top 10 list. Number one thing my 'customers' like about me (remember I work in IT) I never use the word dumbass when answering a question... At least not with my outside voice, I guess!

10 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

Hi. Glad you're back and I promise never to ask you how you're coping.

11:47 p.m.  
Blogger Sandra said...

Look at you already posting!! Congrats again.

I hated it when people asked me how I was coping ... what a negative and assumptive question to ask. Ug. You tell em.

T

7:14 a.m.  
Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

LOL! People think that having children came as a total shock to us breeders. That and the thinking that it can't be 'good'...it has to be really bad! Waaay worse than we expected, because we had our heads in the clouds.

There is never any thought that we might LIKE having kids and the challenges and just roll with it and get used to it all!!

I felt fine after Caity, just tired and trying to balance the two of them.

I don't envy you going solo...family will be around right?

Lemme know if you need a break or anything...I could take munchkin no 1 to the park or something to help out.

It is adjusting the routines and ensuring LOTS of snuggle time for them that is the key.

But you are uber mom anyway!!!

8:13 a.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Ha - I must admit I'm inclined to ask that not because I think you must hate your situation (hey, you chose it and you're a smart lady), but because I know how exhausting I found it to not get a full night of sleep and so on - especially in the heat wave everybody's having!

But I won't ask it of you, since obviously your answer - and I'm happy to hear it! - is JUST FINE!!!

And as sunshine said - look at you, posting so quickly. You truly do rock the mommyhood.

10:02 a.m.  
Blogger nonlineargirl said...

Nice to hear from you. I hope you are enjoying that wonderful new baby head smell. I make up excuses to see my friend with a newborn so I can sniff the baby's head.

11:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're actually being unfair to those who ask you how you're coping.. after all, even though you have a beautiful family that you love and want to be with, some women still drop into PPD and enquiring after a new mama's well-being I think is well-founded rather than twit-like.

Though it's obvious and banal, it still can be said that your new man is beautiful and I'm dying for the nearly-11lb birth story!!

6:37 p.m.  
Blogger mo-wo said...

anon. I think I might have been a bit vague about my annoyance on #2. I am reflecting on my experiences in the last week with family members who are asking me this to the EXCLUSION of any other discussion of their new family member.

Ugh. Banal as you say...

Still, I might add that it seems a bit unfortunate to me that just as we try to distance the pregnancy experience for women from a medicalized, abnormalized event... we are now taking for granted everyone is a PPD risk. Babies make women crazy?

1:30 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps it's more than in a post-industrialized society in which we've lost out tribal/extended-family roots, the experience of the nuclear family where a second parent quickly returns to work, having a baby can be an isolating, overwhelming experience. Hence I think it thoughtful that friends and neighbours enquire after a new-mama's health. I think PPD has much more to do with hormonal surges post-pregnancy than it does to do with the baby him/herself making a woman "crazy"..

I also wonder about the conversation alternatives -- you're walking down the street with your (banal-ly) beautiful new baby -- what would you prefer people talk to you about, the latest news on the war?

9:33 a.m.  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Well, we don't have to ask how you're coping because look at you posting so soon after birth. Obviously you are super-mother!

btw, that was said mostly tongue-in-cheek. But don't you get that rush of adrenaline right after having a baby that makes you think you can handle everything? Just me?

4:31 p.m.  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

'Fuck it'? Bravo.

You're obviously doing something right.

So glad that you're back at it.

3:24 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home