Friday, April 13, 2007

Book Report #2: New York Trilogy


I'll go out on a limb here: if you haven't already done so, read this book. It has been around 20 years or so - since I graduated from high school. (No, I really did.) You've likely had your chances... what are you waiting for?

The reading is difficult at times. The text is unnerving. This has nothing to do with the quality of the writing. Auster's prose is clear. His technique is... I have no idea. I'm not a writer. The themes, testing and exploration of one's identity, of one's existence, are large pills, but the stories are compelling. I kept reading. I wanted to see what would happen. You may as well.

P-man out.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mom101 said...

NO idea if I'll read it but I love the cover. That would make great art.

10:08 a.m.  
Blogger NotSoSage said...

Excellent book, I agree.

My only frustration with Auster is the number of his characters that are conveniently living in NYC either independently wealthy or able to ditch work for a while with no financial consequences...it would be nice.

6:05 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home