Sunday, April 15, 2007

I guess


Talking about slowing things down with the kids....

Walking home those two-year old legs were getting weary. The pleading begins.. I neeeeddd you to carry me. I can't carry you honey. And, -- of course -- I can't carry her and push my stroller, laden with shopping.

But I do carry a little.

I gotta do baby's blankets. You walk to the corner and maybe I'll carry you again. Look baby there's raven. Suddenly a third wind. "Hey raven! I will scare him with my wings." -- insert toddler imitating a bird flying, nay swooping, priceless. "Hey raven" she says again, flapping her arms.

Various other antics ensue. Hands on the ground stepping forward. "I am pretending it is a floor!"

Right. Right. Let's keep moo-ving.

Then the look. Her mischevious deal. Smirk on her face and one raised eyebrow she's says. "I guess it's a butterfly"
"Sorry."
"I guess it's a butterfly"
I look skyward where she is sort of looking (she's mostly looking at me.) "What do you see, honey?"
Smile. "There"
"At the house? Or at the church, there?"
"I guess it's a butterfly"
"I see a gull"
"I guess it's a butterfly"
"Yes. Yes. I guess it is"

3 Comments:

Blogger NotSoSage said...

I love it. I love those moments where your frustration and the things you prioritize sort of melt away when you suddenly see the world through that toddler's eyes.

It's so humbling. (Ugh. That's so cliche, but it's also true.)

8:09 a.m.  
Blogger Mad said...

Toddler conversations are like walks with toddlers. If you just accept the adventure, understanding increases 1,000-fold. I have a very hard time slowing down enough to appreciate the adventure.

7:55 p.m.  
Blogger Andrea said...

Ji has decided that all bugs are "pretty butterflies" right now.

4:58 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home