Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Green with Envy


Last winter we had the water advisory. This summer it will be the garbage strike. If I really love my children here's another wake up call to big picture junk I can't ignore.

I surely would have voted for the environment as the BlogHers Act Canada issue. If those damn centralists hadn't shut down the polls at 9:00PM on Sunday. 13 minutes before I booked on to vote. NB: I'll save the 'don't oppress me' for another post.

Dear mother earth. I have already confessed that since mothering up myself I have sadly "started living pretty fast and loose with the environment". But I am about to turn the corner, back home.

There are folks out there setting such a good example. I can't avoid thinking about all our crap. Now that I have no one to actually collect our crap and make it disappeared I am bent on change, foul weather friend that I am. We'll try to reduce our disposable diaper use by half with cloth. We hope to burn through our kitchen waste with a composter working overtime. We promise to recycle every bit of paper and all those take out tins I didn't used to wash.

How 'bout you, got some keen green tips? We could use all the help we can get. Because, hey this planet can use all the help we can give, n'est ce pas? Perhaps this would make for a good BC Issue.

ps... I am especially interested in any raves or warnings about certain cloth diaper brands. I have only used homemades to now and the HappyHeineys, FuzziBuns and many and varied Velour Ass-sacks all seem so dizzying and expensive... I am sort of afraid of them.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger NotSoSage said...

Oh, no, a garbage strike? I would not want to live through one of those again. But good for you for using it as a reason to look inwards.

We used a cloth diaper service, but my cousin swore by the Kushies brand cloth diapers. They come complete with a plastic cover. I'm not really sure how they were to wash, though. BTW, if you need to buy separate plastic covers, I'm also a big fan of the Kushies (as opposed to the Bummis) covers.

At the risk of sounding like a damn centralist (please do go on about that later), Toronto had a disposable diaper recycling service you could pay for. I don't know whether that's in your budget, but I know a few people who did it before the green bin (composting) program went city-wide.

I don't want to bore you with tips and without not knowing what else you do/don't do, it's hard to say, but there are my thoughts on the diapering issue.

7:27 a.m.  
Blogger Mad said...

I failed at diapering 101. Miserably. Part of it can be attributed to not having a lot of the consumer options that those damn centralists (and you too Ms Left Coast) have available to them.

I did resurrect my broken clothes-line recently, though, and I am unnaturally proud of that each time I put a sack of shitty diapers in the bin on the back deck.

9:41 a.m.  
Blogger NotSoSage said...

I've looked for a similar program (recycling personal hygiene products) at your end of the country and could only find a website called WasteNOT, that appears to be working towards a plant on the Island.

10:11 a.m.  
Blogger Bon said...

i'm late to this...but i moved to almost exclusive use of Fuzzibunz and Happy Heinies about six months ago, when O outgrew his prefolds and the Kushies wraps we'd been using.

they rock. i like the Fuzzibunz more...they leak a little less...and don't even both buying the terry inserts. go hemp, all the way.

i will need to buy a few more for him soon, in large...but i'm pleased with them and consider them worth the money. of course, we have a sitter willing to use them, which helps.

9:58 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The one good thing about our complex is that we have private garbage pick up and therefore am STILL getting our garbage taken away...the only stuff that isn't is the recycling...that sucks.

I have buckets here that we sort our stuff in and so we are hanging on to it as long as we can till we get to some depot or something.

9:51 a.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

I used a diaper service that is very devoted to the green, myself, so I don't know about brands so much, but the ones we had from them were cotton trifolds, and we used the Bummis whisper wraps to keep them on, which I was very happy with. We used one size of wraps the whole time, and the velcro let them be very adjustable. Also, I don't think we ever had a pooslosion that made it past the elastics, which is a nice thing!

10:28 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home