Sunday, July 01, 2007

You are my mother


I have read that LaLeche book on breastfeeding. It introduced me to the phrase, nursing couple. I was startled by that but ultimately took to it like a really taken thing.

My 11 month old is getting ready to break up with me. I can tell. He rolls off early and would rather doze on my shoulder. He skips sessions without a 2nd thought. It will soon be over. For this reason and thoughts I've read lately around these remaining sessions seem to have me deep in thought. Deep in deepness. Blimey.

There is something about those moments of child at my breast that validate me entirely. It has been an activity for me, between the two kids, for nearly 3 years and I am a bit nervous about its end. It is when I look into those blasé faces, they are so attached to me, I think 'you chose me'. You chose me? I can't believe it. You chose me dear child.

I am, immutably, the mother.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

On the one year anniversary of Chicky weaning herself I threw myself a pity party. If you would have told me when she was 2 months old that I would have felt such a loss I would have told you to go play in traffic. But you're right, it validates us.

Beautiful, Mo-Wo.

6:43 a.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

It's funny, being as it was that Pumpkinpie and I never got it together properly and I was left being intimate with the pump instead, weaning was sort of a non-issue or even a celebration for me of getting my breasts back to myself from the milking machine. Dairy Queen be-gone!

So I can't relate to these posts I've been reading about the bittersweetness of weaning, but I must say, I am finding them lovely nonetheless.

5:05 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome. Beautiful. And ... yeah.

But I will tell you, after my first weaned (so we could have my second), my energy bounced back and I felt so good! Maybe you will get an energy boost too!

12:13 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home