Sunday, June 24, 2007

Don't even joke about it

The moments to myself are measured in seconds not minutes these days. I am beyond edgy.

I confess in hushed tones to my husband my need to 'take a break'. I am physically, mentally and emotionally drained as a primary caregiver for three weeks. You can bet I don't know how the hell many other parents pull the weight I am labouring under.

Don't count me one to ever say chirpish-ly "I'm a single mother for a few days"... That is such crapola. I know single mothers and you don't joke about that sort of stuff. I have one friend who tossed the useless father with a 9 month old baby in her arms. Often imitated, never duplicated. Single parents I remain in awe.

ps.. I really like it when life gives me the chance to say crapola. It is such a happy word.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger nonlineargirl said...

mmm, crapola.

10:57 p.m.  
Blogger NotSoSage said...

Every time I'm on my own for a few days (with ONE, only one), my respect for single parents increases tenfold.

This past winter I thought, how does one shovel the driveway when they live on a busy street and are the only caregiver for a flighty toddler? The answer: in the dark.

8:34 a.m.  
Blogger N. said...

I'm a mothering light weight. I'm prone to whining. I make my husband thank me for all those 'thankless tasks' that fall into my job description (ie wiping orifices of offspring).

9:16 a.m.  
Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

The last little while here have been nuts..between dh's work and sick family AND then getting ready for Caity's birthday and Adam's the month before..talk about feeling a bit stretched out...eesh.

And now I get to do it with FOUR!

12:25 p.m.  
Blogger mamakie said...

I too try to think about my friend who is a single parent when I'm strung out, desperate for a break from the kids (which is a lot lately).

1:29 p.m.  
Blogger Granny said...

I'm long past the difficulties of infant and toddlerhood but it's still exhausting at times.

Our younger two are 10 months apart, their sister is about 16 months older. I wondered if I'd survive.

12:10 a.m.  
Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

Agreed. Now that I am a mother....single parents AMAZE me.

6:16 a.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Oh good golly yes. My mom did it with me at 23 and in university, too. Where one gets that kidn of energy, I just don't know, 'cause I sure don't have it. I guess it's one of those you do what you need to do things... but still. I get pissed when people dump on singles because most people? Don't sign up for that if they can avoid it, but fall into it by some circumstance.

1:44 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home