Saturday, February 18, 2006

Post-natal indulgences




After giving birth my life changed. Obviously. There were things I expected and things I did not. Here are a few things I have been surprised about since becoming mother-woman.






1. I no longer have to comparison shop.
At only irregular intervals do I care if I could save any money on an item by 'shopping around'. I used to be obsessive about this. Now, I see it and if I need it -- it is good as acquired.

2. My body image rocks now.
I know there is the MILFs action out there but I seem to have immunity, somehow. In this new era, I just don't care what folks think anymore on this issue. I would not pretend to be one of those imaginary people who loved being pregnant but.. I did experience the following metamorphosis thanks to it. First, I got really fat and for once it 'didn't matter'.. hell it was sort of a good thing. Then I got skinny again, thanks to my fear of weaning I got quite skinny in fact. In the middle I had this weird day where a lot of strangers saw me naked and in positions that I had erstwhile kept quite private. Arching over all of this I had to 'just deal with it'. I lost a lot of baggage through this process.

3. I say what I mean.
In pregnancy I was correctly identified as 'feisty'. I would have used another word... but let's go with feisty as it was used so sweetly by the nice man I had just taken aback.

4. I mean what I say.
The days seem to fly by too fast to tolerate any drawn-out or academic arguments. Now, when I am out of the workforce again this might change but for now I have am single-minded about getting things done. Talk is cheap.

5. Consider me livin' fast and loose with the environment.
Since the onset of parenthood I have completely renegotiated my realationship with mother earth. When paper towels first came out my grandfather used to rinse them out, dry them and reuse them. That's where I come from and that's what I do.. but believe me I have NEVER used so many paper towels in all my life. We do limit our wipes consumption but when you consider my breakup with cloth diapers around 10 months AND then the paper towel issue. I am now CEO of a serious biohazard facility.

So what are your indulgences, mothers and dads?

7 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

1. patience is only preserved for a select few.

2. crying can numb me into sleep sometimes.

3. I feel sexier.

4. I keep a dayplanner and organize it maticuously.

5. I started buying makeup(dont know why??)

4:41 a.m.  
Blogger L. said...

Oddly enough, I like the color red now. I never liked it before.

I know many women whose food tastes totally changed, but my color tastes shifted, too.

I started buying Japanese laquerware, because I couldn`t get enough of the deep, rich color. It was almost a physical feeling.

4:25 p.m.  
Blogger Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

I buy precut fruit so I will actually feed it to them instead of letting it rot before I get off my ass to cut it up into little pieces.

When I was breastfeeding (twins) I was burning so many calories that I ate Cheetohs every day.

1:50 p.m.  
Blogger Heather said...

I have given myself permission to never answer the phone (babies being the perfect excuse).

Before pregnancy I only liked milk chocolate. Now I only like dark chocolate. And I like it very much.

9:35 p.m.  
Blogger the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

My big one is that I'm no longer good at anything. I used to be smart, kinda snappy, and while not wise, I did feel like I was knowledgeable enough to, you know, function in society and all that. Now I feel like there's nothing I'm at expert at anymore. Heck, I barely remember my own name!

7:27 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:30 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:08 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home