Thursday, February 09, 2006

Blog On Blog Action

Or, as our neighbour G. would say, to my delight: Ack-cchyonn!

Mo-wo, she is too tired to type on account of our recent travels, iron deficiency, cooking up a foetus, a significant list of household chores and the like, but not so tired that I did not receive some directions on the post I am presently typing. She did not say: Please, darling spouse of mine, type by way of introduction some more of your usual meta-blog patter, I NEVER get tired of that. No.

What she said was: What is the deal with these blog-typing-types typing about meeting each other in the actual world? And meeting in the actual world? Is that right?

What I said was: I don't know if that is allowed. It doesn't sound right to me.

She: I want you to post about that.

I: Maybe I should type about it.

It has thus come to my attention that some avatars have met one another, in the corporeal form, for dead raw fish, or overpriced entrees, in the bay area, spirits and smokes in the sucked orange, and engaging inactual discussions about parenting strategies on the Pacific coast. One of mo-wo's favorite posts in the HISTORY of household blog reading had the lovely BMC out to virtually standup the perennial, perpetually impeccable Metrodad. Of course, these examples are probably not exhaustive in terms of the humans who populate the virtual world and meet in the actual world. I have only referred to the blog neighbourhoods I frequent, which is in global terms the equivalent of a walk in Greenwood . I imagine it is possible there are more blogs out there than I have read, seen, or can even imagine, and there are actualized virtual people meeting virtual actualizers for lunch, fly fishing, key parties- it BOGGLES THE MIND.

It is not so much that I feel left out- of course I do. But I am that self-sorry type who feels left out at the parties I host. It isn't even the envy that other people have lives so fabulous that they can meet and be fabulous, hang out in groovy places, or are so together that they can actually help work each other out serious parenting or personal concerns. The envy is there, do not misunderstand. I want to be wanted and so on. I want to pay outrageous prices for food and Monte Cristo #4s. I want to play at Budokan. Yep.

But besides the envy, the not wanted on the voyage aspect of my personality, there is something of greater concern. This exercise, wherein I occupy a virtual self, is fun. I only have to be a part of myself. This voice is just a voice- it is not the body. This is an avatar, a mere approximation. No, what I find unsettling about this blog on blog action is that it's too real.

11 Comments:

Blogger L. said...

Hey, I live in San Francisco. It is also very odd for me to think that all of this meeting and greeting is taking place just a stone`s throw away from where I physically am. But alas, I am not part of the young, hip "now, live in person!" blog community.

But Ann Adams is going to try to drive up and visit when we set a date, and Uncle Roger is going to come over for curry as soon as I get around to inviting him, since he, too lives in SF. But somehow -- how can I explain? Those two ALWAYS existed outside the blogosphere for me, whereas Wood, Dutch and CityMama are on a silver screen somewhere, in another realm.

If you guys ever make it down to SF, you can count on at least one great meal.

10:20 p.m.  
Blogger Andrea said...

Hmm there are bloggers I would love to meet and other bloggers that dont seem real. They are too good, too popular too 'silver screenish' as L puts it. I would love to have a jab fest with Granny and L in one of their living rooms and I am even going to be in your neighbourhood soon. It almost seems sureal in some way.

11:37 p.m.  
Blogger the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

I think that the blog-on-blog action is very potentially scary, but only with friends who were not FBB (Friends Before Blogging). I'm always afraid I won't like people or they'll see how truly cheesy I am in real life.

You know, 'cause I'm soooo cool in blogworld. LOL.

12:17 p.m.  
Blogger mo-wo said...

L. wow. Thanks for the dinner offer. Are you saying in addition to all the smart-chick stuff you are a bloody good cook, too. Christ I think it would be BETTER we NOT meet in person. I would likely result in me not being able to stand you.

Andrea. I do know what you mean about being really keen to meet some people. I was a little afraid when I thought I might have to be a part of you buying a horse! BTW.. you can see the mommy of the pony you DON'T want to buy at our trip to the farm last week.

Soon Ji will have to spend days and days saying -- truck, truck, truck! Wait for it.

2:05 p.m.  
Blogger jdg said...

I am too scared of p-man to ever meet y'all in person.

3:49 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Due to a somewhat slack office job with overly-generous internet access, I've come to the realization recently that I have a problem differentiating between "blog friends" and actual real-world acquaintances (nay, bosom friends in your case!) who I am too lazy to actually hook up with now that I can follow their lives vicariously through a passive electronic medium.

Oh, yeah, I actually know you guys in real life... We should, y'know, hang out some time.

(makes "call me!" signal with hand to ear...)

sigh.

4:20 p.m.  
Blogger mo-wo said...

oh yeah, dutch. you and pman in proximity that would be scaairrry.

7:58 p.m.  
Blogger L. said...

Mo-wo -- I learned Polish Poverty cooking from my grandmother, but it`s not to everyone`s taste. Most of the time, when we have people over, we order Chinese.

8:16 p.m.  
Blogger jdg said...

like one of those street brawls that clint eastwood was always getting involved with at construction sites or behind honky tonks in 'Every Which Way But Loose'? only with wimps and no orang-utan on the line? [I used the antiquated verbiage just to get his blood boiling]

11:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My theories on actual 3-D meetings between blog friends are similar to the ones I had about dating when I was a young single lad (many moons ago.) Basically, it boils down to the fact that I'll meet anyone ONCE!

However, I will say that the thought of meeting p-man and/or Dutch might be a little frightening as I'm very intimidated by intellectual brain wattage and I'm afraid I would be dimmed in the shadow. Alas!

6:42 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://gallery.veafoorea.ru/woman-russian-tennis-player.html]woman russian tennis player[/url] [url=http://gallery.veafoorea.ru/dominant-mail-order-brides.html]dominant mail order brides[/url] [url=http://gallery.veafoorea.ru/dating-agencies-web-site.html]dating agencies web site[/url] [url=http://gallery.veafoorea.ru/index39.html]colorado russian women[/url]

6:45 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home