Thursday, February 16, 2006

Recommended titles to jazz up every nursery




1. Charlie Parker played be bop / by Christopher Raschka.
Orchard, 1992.
Subject: Parker, Charlie, 1920-1955

ISBN: 0531059995

Miss Fancy really took to this book; I am sure because we really took to this. Selecting kid's lit is very often about what it teaches Mom and Dad about storytelling. This rhythmic arrangement will bring out the performer in even the shyest reader. Boppity, bippity, bop, bang! indeed.

For some sometimes different opinions you can find this title has also been reviewed on daddytypes.




2.Jazz A-B-Z / by Wynton Marsalis; Paul Rogers; Phil Schaap.
Candlewick Press, 2005.
Subjects: Jazz musicians -- Juvenile poetry.
Children's poetry, American.
Jazz -- Juvenile poetry.

ISBN: 0763621358

On the outside edge of the pukefest of last month I really had a lot of phone messages to return at work. While I made a half dozen calls baby girl mastered the pronunciation of Sidney Bechet, Art Blakey and Dizzie Gillespie. She already had Charlie Parker down, of course. I don't have the first clue why she loves it so much but this book is a real hit for our very young cat. What kid doesn't love the word Dizzie, anyway?

Don't take my word for it check out this review at monstersandcritics.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

My parents used to put me to bed every night by listening to Miles Davis first. The album with the freaky head on the front.
Damn head became my nightmare monster!
Great music though.

4:57 a.m.  
Blogger the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

Oh, God, it's official. Now the fact that I hate jazz means I will not only make a terrible academic (my field is lousy with jazz buffs) but, apparently, also a terrible mother. *sigh.*

7:34 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great tips, Mo-Wo. Thanks. I'll check them out for the Peanut.

Meanwhile, I've been playing her the recently discovered Monk-Coltrane CD and she's loving it. She bounces up and down and starts dancing like crazy. Do you guys have this, by the way? It might be one of the greatest jazz album ever!

8:05 a.m.  
Blogger mo-wo said...

oh stefanie

everyone knows that kids love country music and 80's retro too. But I am simply in denial about those two... there is hope for you yet!

8:23 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home