Tuesday, March 18, 2008

At Home

If I look at my peer group about 70% are staying at home. I live in sort of the last affordable family neighbourhood there WAS (past tense) in Vancouver so I am lucky. But for some reason I largely credit bloggers for supporting my decision to spend more time at home? Odd? I dunno.

It seem clear to me that if I didn't know:
L. and Alpha D and if I hadn't heard the cheesefairy say she would do it I might have never gone for it. Thank God I have Crunchy showing me through the screen and in real life that it can be done. If I didn't know Sarah of the Goon Squad, or if I had overlooked Dutch's input at sweet|salty that argued spending time with your kids isn't about adequate maternity/paternity leaves but rather about choices.

It reminds me of that scene in the book Rainbabies when the Moon spirit awards the old people a baby of their own because they had forgone riches to protect the rainbabies, among other things.

I really feel sometimes that the mirage of financial security as a precursor to parenting is ass backwards. I am still addicted to the notion even tho' I feel very little drive for it in the face of the priceless and proportionless existence I have with my two little people.

I do thank you all -- at home or not -- for opening your homes, families, hearts and experiences to the Internet and to me. I do love it. Helps me find my way.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

I'm glad we could help. Deciding to say home isn't an easy decision, but for me it was the right one.

I hope it works out for you too.

It is the hardest job I have ever had and it is the best job I have ever had.

6:14 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Blogger just ate my comment. The point was; do what you believe is right for you, and have no regrets.... There are many beautiful days ahead of you.

7:08 a.m.  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Deciding to stay home was the hardest decision I didn't have to make. Long story. Suffice it to say, I had a sucky boss.

I still wrangle with it. But it has it's perks. Don't feel like getting dressed on a rainy day. You don't have to!

12:44 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think of it this way..if the RIGHT job comes along ...and it will...at the RIGHT time....just not right this minute.

Right now you are at home and thank goodness you can afford it...

Sometimes life makes the choices for us....and instead of fighting it...just go with the flow.

2:06 p.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Oh, I can't say how I have loved the blogosphere for just this kind of support and sounding. But remember that no decision is indelible, either, so if you lvoe it, fantastic, but if not, there is going back. I just hope it's great for you.

3:17 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I really feel sometimes that the mirage of financial security as a precursor to parenting is ass backwards"

I do believe this is true. I would much rather have emotional security. (enter the supportive blogosphere's role...grahhh I just typed blogosphere) Sometimes they're tied...but having done the full-time outside the home work & parent thing for almost a year now I can tell you that the patience does not come more easily when I am being financially compensated for part of it.

I suspect if I was getting money for my parenting I would feel guilty about taking it because some days I suck so, so bad.

Glad you are finding your way.

6:20 a.m.  
Blogger nonlineargirl said...

It makes me happy to know you are feeling the love and maybe also feeling that where you are now is good.

1:58 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home