Wednesday, April 02, 2008

At Home: Redux

I gave notice to our nanny yesterday. It was an interesting 90 days of childcare with no work to justify it.

I drove through rush hour to get home to my family after another aimless grievance discussion. It is firm. I am unemployed. While a thread or two remains to connect me to my working world the realist in me must put it into words. I am unemployed. Put me out of the discomforts of limbo.

Today, I feel like a stay-at-home mom for the first time. Silly isn't it? I have been looking after my kids for pretty much 3 out of the last 4 years and only today I felt I crossed that threshold?

I put it all down to being so conventional. I guess in my own mind Maternity leave was just that. It seems that what Foucault tells us is real. I was let to leave. But yesterday. Today. I quit. I left. And, where did I go? Here. At home.

FIN

ps... In the coming weeks you can expect to assist me with the 52 myths of SAHM'ing I must confront. My own prejudices, stereotypes, fears and inadequacies. P-man and I like to call all this CANHer; bloggy enough?

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger kittenpie said...

You might be a perfect candidate to join the Mothers' Voices project crazymumma was talking about today!

10:57 a.m.  
Blogger Mad said...

Welcome home to work. I will be here listening to all 52 myths and all taking notes on all your cloud busting.

BTW, your little mention of me at MetroDad's today? Holy traffic on my site! Thanks.

6:47 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that a big part of being happy -- and this applies to so much more than just your career path -- is being allowed to make choices. I think you've gotten a pretty raw deal -- and I'm sorry about that. Actually I'm a bit pissed off on your behalf.

6:24 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

52 myths! One post every wednesday for a year, debunking! Can't wait.

congratulations on making the choice...even if it was coerced somewhat, you sound at peace with it.

7:26 p.m.  
Blogger nonlineargirl said...

For your myths list:
-it is a slow paced life/relaxed/you have more time
-the house will be attended to more than if both parents worked

(maybe that second one is just me...)

11:14 a.m.  
Blogger NotSoSage said...

It sounds like a sound resolution. And I look forward to the journey you take through it.

9:36 a.m.  
Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

Adam starts soccer next week..could it BE anymore domestic??

Welcome to my world.

4:17 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home