Wednesday, June 18, 2008

52 reasons: And Children are People

So time for another post on my 52 reasons I could not be a SAHM, though of course I could.

Here's one. I can't be a SAHM because I am not particularly child-centred. AKA, I am too adult oriented. HA! Not true again. For two reasons really. 1. I am not all that adult oriented either and 2. Child centred?? What do I mean by that.

Prior to having children I often treated children as a class. I remember in my early library days when I worked for the Children's department of the Vancouver Public Library I shared the dreams of my co-workers of instituting long glass cases to house the books and a really klinky-rattly keychain with about one hundred keys on it. Anyway, I thought of children as a class. A kind of people. Now I realize that my children are classless, in more ways than one. Basically, I do not in any way enjoy my children as children. Rather they are delightful people. They are, like so many children, in fact interesting individuals. Who knew??

And now, here everyday as I am now sitting at work I measure each phone call, this or that huffy email, every meeting and goal-setting activity against them; against the two people who's company I really love most on the planet.

So how do you think that's goin'?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Personally, I hate kids.

;)

Mine are okay. My friend's are pretty easy to be around. But all the time? Eh, no.

So why the hell am I a SAHM? It's a mystery.

4:33 p.m.  
Blogger Mad said...

I still see children as a class. When I go in for day care drop off, I have a hard time distinguishing individuals. I don't see my child, however, as belonging to the class of childhood. With her, I only see the person that she is: mostly delightful and sometimes as annoying as all hell.

7:59 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home