Sunday, August 10, 2008

Travelogue Two: By Mistake

We went to my mother in law's farm in the Okanagan, the lake country. Last year I learned that the invitation is not one of visiting but an invitation to holiday in proximity. Odd. I attempted to accommodate. Why do people even go on holiday is something I ask nearly every time I go somewhere with p-man. Who knew our Withnail moments would stay with us up to this point?

There were many highlights, no doubt. We went to the beach learning to swim in the easy waters of Kalamalka; so much simpler, safer, than our regular trips towards water's edge along neighbourhood sections of the Pacific. Fun. At the farm feeding the ponies a couple times was fun, sure. Tromping the woods nearby a couple times fun, sure.

But 3 nights, 4 days... I think it was too long.

Do you think? There is no right number right? It is simply inevitable. About two-thirds through the jumping on the bed will becomes abhorrent and a parent will ask, I will ask, why do people even go on holiday?

P-man suggests it is to remind themselves of the comforts of home.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

...perhaps you needed more ale?

We have not attempted a holiday w/children (too busy having them) - I look back at the trips we took during the months before I got pregnant with number 1 and I wonder if maybe my subconscious knew.

6:50 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA: to the Withnail reference.

No matter how long we spend with my in-laws, it is one day too long.

And holidaying in proximity? Yes, odd. Do you reciprocate and direct her to hotels when she comes to Vangroovy?

10:28 a.m.  
Blogger nonlineargirl said...

Nothing like being SORT OF welcomed. Come visit, but don't actually stay.

10:53 a.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

I'd rather holiday out of proximity, myself... I'm not much for togetherness. One night of that is enough for me!

I find the worst thing about "vacation" is all the work involved in advance and after, whihc somehow makes it all seem not even worthwhile. Why go somewhere to destress if it's only causing you stress?

1:58 p.m.  
Blogger p-man said...

I can't wait until Mo gets to the part where I almost kill everyone.

9:05 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home