Sunday, October 26, 2008

D.E.A.R. and National School Library Day

It was a busy week at work last week for a lot of the normal mundane reasons. But there was (and is) something special, too. Monday October 27th is School Libraries Day in Canada and we go the extra mile around my place to hoot and holler about it!

I am often tired and only rarely not stressed by working for school libraries in this City but I am always proud. I have worked in all kinds of libraries but K to 12 is fantastic. I work with people who intimately recognize the reading wants and needs of hundreds of people in their school. I live for the passion engendered by the business, and struggles, of maintaining school library service. School libraries are the only libraries every citizen is guaranteed to see. In some ways they reach a broader number of library users than their public counterparts. I hope my kids will have a great school library and that yours will too. I hope that you will support having all manner of information at school. Not just a gesture to route a kid to 'look it up' on a computer somewhere!

For National School Libraries day British Columbia has a special celebration in store. Everyone, it's official now the Premier even said!!! everyone.. is invited to drop-everything-and-read for 20 minutes on Monday the 27th. I am personally grateful to our local newspaper for challenging him about not speaking up before!

The idea is that we take 20 minutes to value AND ENJOY what school libraries stand for and offer, reading, learning to read and liberal access to literature and information. Between 11am and 11:20 everyone I work with will drop everything and take a book break. I invite you to join in. If you do let us know at the blog or on the Facebook page.

Over-excited nerd librarian, out.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even though I generally try to NOT follow Gordo's directives, I'll happily comply with this one. But only because of YOU.

10:27 p.m.  
Blogger Mad said...

Late to the party on this one but I'm fairly certain I read for several hours yesterday so I think I'm covered off.

6:53 p.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Hy, happy late late late library day wishes! I must say I've met some school librarians who do awesome work, supplementing the classroom teacher's teachings as well as encouraging prsonal reading. It's so great when we can collaborate, too, as at my normal branch. Huzzah!

9:51 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home