Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Turnout

I know everyone thinks that having three elections in four years can turn folks off but... I was a scrutineer yesterday and a few times I was sorta, WTF?

Today it irks me. Did we have the lowest turnout ever? Or did the system turn folks away? There were a few things but mostly I am starting to believe that the hasty new id rules indeed might have had an impact. Staffing, hours and rules about registrations at the poll might have played as much a part as voter apathy.

Great. Soon we'll have to run election observer exchanges with the DRC?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was there any pre-warning of the new ID laws? It took us by surprise.

I expect there will now be another round of "let's be like Australia and make voting mandatory for all citizens." Which drives me crazy. I'd rather people did not vote than vote without being informed about the issues and the candidates. I mean, obviously it would be better if we were a nation of hyper-aware, informed and passionate politicos, but that seems unlikely.

Uh. When did I become such a cynic?

10:02 p.m.  
Blogger Mad said...

I heard that a lot of University students were turned away b/c they couldn't prove their address. The people working the polls often didn't seem to know that it was ok to have another bona-fide voter vouch for you by verbally swearing they knew you.

9:49 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home