Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Zone Defence



Hockey season begins.
Baseball as much as come to an end.
My son and my daughter are dreaming of the day they'll be part of a soccer team.

I cringe. I know nothing of athletics. P-man? He's all over it. Lithe and sportsmanlike, in his day. A natural coach. I wonder what they'll do. I hope they do enjoy it. But it won't be for me having a clue. I am at a loss when they hang on the monkey bars.

But arts performance?? I'm all over that. I signed Miss Fancy up for the coolest ballet class ever (community centre!). She has a great teacher she loves who has a beautiful -- huge -- tattoo on her shoulder of Isadora Duncan. (All the kids get stamps on their shoulders now, not their hands, when they're finished. Cute. huh?) It is fun to dance stories, my girl thinks. Yes, ma'm!

I will love the kids experiences in the arts, a lot I think. Dance, theatre, music. YOu? Love and contemplate, it seems.

A year or so ago I finally realized that a fine arts education, sorry to all my arts peeps, is REALLY REALLY REALLY important. When I examine what bugs me about INFLUENCE and my kids growing up I look to defend them. But really the best defence they'll have is a healthy base of the arts. The spine they might gain from creating things, from composing ideas and representations (instead of having them foisted upon them.) I value opportunities for them to play with identity, philosophy, politic, etc etc. Last week my son was 'drawing'. I chided his Dad a little for helping too much. Making logical suggestions for tableaux. Let him do it. If he is demanding of his drawing, if he is reckless in his image, okay. If he erratic or illogical with his imagery. At this SO WHAT! He can have that liberation!! (And, at the age of two -- trust me -- that little guy is looking for the liberal windows he can get out of his parents, big time.)

What about you? Can you tell by now if you will gravitate to arts or sports extra-curricular? Or both? Or neither. Any of it figure for ya?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are sporty. By default mostly, since the arts options are limited here. But we are VERY theatrical in our day to day comings and goings and that helps fill a void.

11:19 p.m.  
Blogger Mad said...

We're split down the middle in our house b/c we both love arts and sports. We tend to love arts parents more than sports parents so that will, I'm sure, have some bearing. Also, we agreed long before I was even pregnant that MadDad would have to handle all sports b/c I have a natural inclination to be one of THOSE sports parents.

Miss M, now? She seems to have an interest only in the arts. Maybe she will develop a love of sport but, so far, it's not there. Holy old Dinah, though, that girl sure can run fast. I KNOW she didn't get that from me.

9:01 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are at week 4 of parent and toddler dance. Boy loves it. Only boy in class full of tutus. Also knows all the words to Singing in the Rain and shows real musical affinity. Kid's got rhythm.

But he also claims to want to play soccer.

I agree the art of creativity is important. Am somewhat scared of organized sports. Will probably have to conquer this fear pretty soon because what are the chances both my kids will be broadway material?

8:29 p.m.  
Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

We are much happier doing non sports things...

caity is doing ballet and LOVES it.
We have found a Taekwon Do class that seems to be a good fit for Adam.

I as a parent do better with no sports things since we are non sports people.

I love my kids doing painting etc.

If Adam wants to dance too..he can

4:32 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home