Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A minute

We are most fortunate to have a truly wonderful neighbourhood cenotaph. I have always observed on Remembrance Day and am glad to have the open and proud community event a few blocks from home for my kids. As I child my parents would talk of rights and sacrifice. We speak there about ideas bravery, selflessness and change. And, that my children stand firmly in the 'up with bagpipes!' crowd.

There has been of late much talk about global citizenship. Watch this movie, look to the mother in the blue beret and then tell me if it is so entirely new.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think one of the best things about Canada is how we do Remembrance Day the right way. I saw on the news that yesterday's turnout was generally greater than in previous years. Yeah, Canada!

10:24 p.m.  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

I wrote a poem for Remembrance Day back when I was in grade 4. It was a terrible poem, but it won an award, because it was only sort of terrible for a kid in grade 4, and every November 11 I wake up with that poem in my head and feel both a little stupid about still having that dippy poem in my head decades later and also a little choked up and Remembrancey. It's complicated.

9:01 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home