Sunday, May 02, 2010

The end of assvice?

I have been working a lot in the area of shifting publishing and more and more I find my identities crossing over. Mother. Woman. Librarian. "Blogger". Twit. I am happy about that since I actually started the Mother-Woman blog back in 2005 to weather the fracturing of identity I faced when I returned to work that autumn a mother surely but unsure how to be a hyphenated mother.

To this day, though I do it so infrequently now... I do still like the blogging. I was so excited to hear my friend and mommy-to-meta-blogger Kerry is presenting at Northern Voice a Vancouver blogger event I am going to for both personal and professional reasons. 1.) let me rankle.. the NV folks better not be billing my best mommyblogger peeps just to attract the inevitable, Mommy Bloggers you suck press coverage from the top flight proprietary news outlets. And 2.) aren't social media threads for parenting information just the best thing ever invented???

As I spend more time, as a librarian, thinking about what is happening to the quality (qualities?) of information a bit of an aha moment. I keep looking for the points of disconnection between the information sources we've had and the new options. Do you agree with me when I say it's not just about convenience it's about credibility? I mean if you share my low-ish opinion of the parenting books from main stream publishers blogging makes inordinate sense. If we asked the question what's so great about parent blogging? Well yeah it's because it is better and more credible than those books. Parenting that's about a social as it gets, innit?

And, if you ask bon... well what about the genres. We need to reshuffle the deck on voice. As I wade through they myriad of choice for information sources in schools day by day I never make up my mind. Organize by format? By access.. by discipline. Well like one of my best friends said to me when I had my first baby "Repeat after me. Your guess is as good as mine"!

And, that's peer review for ya nowadays, innit?

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Bon said...

if i could actually predict futures trends, i don't think, alas, that the end of assvice would be one of them.

Dave's gonna be at NV. i'm not. i'm jealous. but look him up - he's presenting. last, i think, or somesuch terrible slot. but with bells on.

8:31 p.m.  
Blogger mo-wo said...

Oh the Dave show.. I am looking him up, you bet. He's #3 in the hat trick I'm after that day.

thanks for writing

8:54 p.m.  
Blogger L. said...

Yeah, I'm earning a salary as an Internet journalist, and...I'm making it up as I go along. (NOT the news! I am NOT making that part up! REALLY!)

7:35 a.m.  
Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

Been thinking about similar things..

http://www.canadamomsblog.com/2010/05/the-changing-face-of-media.html

Worlds merge and collide...

2:55 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home