Sunday, March 19, 2006

Exit Strategy

E. left N.'s daycare about a week ago. Departure came with an unexpected side-effect.

On the last day I cried and cried. I was a bundle of nerves. But over what really? Will I miss N. so much myself? She was a very lucky find in my hairy daycare searching. Am I unhappy about where we are going? No. I am quite happy with the new daycare and so is our girl.

Nope, do you know what bothers me the most? Moving e. from her friends.

The daycare she attended is closing. The lovely N. is expecting her own first child in a couple months. This is great! But what is the etiquette? All the kids have their exit strategies in place. Some have moved on already and some will a bit after us. By months end the doors will be closed. We were only there 6 months and I don't really know the other parents but I know all their kids. What to do about this en masse breakup of our girl's first group of friends?

And, all the children were excellent friends.

I want to do something to acknowledge this rite of passage that I had not foreseen. N. gave us a lovely photo of the Friends for us to keep (wish I could post it, it's so cute.. but I won't post photos of other people's kids)... but I want to do something. Any ideas out there? I have thought about sending the kids some mail, a card. I have thought about hosting a parents shower for N. after her new baby arrives, a last get together. Is there etiquette on this?

6 Comments:

Blogger L. said...

I don`t know the etiquette, but I think a "parent`s shower" is a GREAT idea!
And maybe you could try to organize informal daycare reunions, too? I mean, what do you have to lose? The worst people can say if you invite them is NO.

3:20 p.m.  
Blogger Susan said...

What about having the KIDS throw a shower for N? Send the invitations from E, and ask each child to bring his or her favorite something from their own babyhood--lovey or CD or treat for Mommy and Daddy. Then it would be a reunion of sorts for E and her friends, and a nice way for N to see everyone again--AND a way for you and the other parents to show her how much you appreciated her work.

And invite me, because it sounds like fun . . .

7:13 p.m.  
Blogger mo-wo said...

Susan and L. thanks for the ideas. I will add you guys to the guest list. Heck maybe I can even get the parents to all sign an image/royalty disclaimer so I can post the gang in all their underr 3 heartbreaking cuteness.

8:13 p.m.  
Blogger Andrea said...

I think those ideas are brilliant. I am about to pull Ji away from her friends and daycare providers of a a full year now and it is going to be hard. She loves them and I know they love her.
I need to find the proper thank you gift for them all.

10:30 p.m.  
Blogger MrsFortune said...

What a nice idea, I'm sure she will be moved beyond all belief!

4:11 p.m.  
Blogger Granny said...

Oh yes, of course. I'm a little late - still recovering from my great weekend in SF.

A good daycare provider is a treasure. By all means, let her know that. I really like the idea of the kids.

9:21 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home