Thursday, May 04, 2006

Baby name selections for the week

So I guess we hit the mother lode! Eternal thanks to Sarah who has brought our search for a name for our potential new son to a halt with her stellar post! (And those of you who know me know I really don't use my exclamation points lightly.)

So back on the girls name seeking, I guess. All the girls in my Grandpa's family were named with 'M' names, like me. My paternal great grandmother's middle name was Minerva, which I think kicks. (Is that Minnie Drivers' full name?) So if we were blessed with a further marginalization of the male minority around here come July which, if any of the stuffy old WASP names here appeal to those of you out there in Radioland?

Maude
Morag
I like Monica.. but everyone always reminds me.. Lewinsky so it is a dead duck right?

ps.. One last word on the boys.. You know, I have always like Tarquin, Laurence Olivier named his first child this. P-man was not a supporter. Then last week I told him it was an Old Etruscan name and he is digging it now. Which only makes sense since those Modern Etruscan names are so gauche.

6 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

I found Mabyn here but the link vomited up a lot of popups.

10:46 p.m.  
Blogger Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

So, I'm confused. You're not going with D'Qwell? It could be for a boy OR a girl.

There isn't even a "u" after the "q". YOu really can't beat it.

5:44 a.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

But wait, Rome's last and particularly heinous king was Tarquin. He was in fact the last one because he caused the people to revolt and overthrow the monarchy and start a republic. For ancient-linked names with better associations, I like Hadrian/Adrian or Julian, both good Roman emperors. Julian was in fact the last pagan emperor, and one who, though he was creeped out by the christians, felt that they should be able to exist side-by-side as religions had for so long. Anyway, end of lecture...

If pumpkinpie had been a boy, she would have been Julian. Although I see on babynamewizard.com that it is taking a sudden turn for the popular. Grrr.

6:30 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how about Maive?

Gaelic: 'intoxicating one'. Maeve was a Queen of Connaught who invaded Ulster, defended by Cuchulainn.

It has a handy alternate spelling - Meadhbh

Sorry, that's probably not helpful.

3:40 p.m.  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

I was going to say what kittenpie said - the last tyrants were Tarquins and they were actually regarded (by Livy, anyway) as more stupid than cruel. Sextus Tarquinius raped Lucretia which set in motion the chain of events that led to the revolution and the birth of the republic. The key male figure in this story was Brutus, but that means brute in Latin so I'm guessing that you don't want to go that route.

I personally like Lucretia for a girl, even though (because?) it's a bit Edward Gorey. Ovid said that Lucretia was manlier than any of her wussy kinsmen; gotta love that.

And, like kittenpie (great minds and all), I like Julian, for the same reasons, and also because it's the name of one of the best characters in French literature - Julian Sorel (The Red and the Black, Stendhal).

(How big a geek am I?)

Second lecture of this comment page over... backing away from lectern...

4:49 p.m.  
Blogger Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

On a serious note, I wanted to name my girl Marin, but since we had twins (and my husband was covinced that Marin rhymed with Ian) we didn't end up using it.

I still really like the name. Either Marin or Maren.

5:34 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home