Thursday, April 27, 2006

Bad Parenting Confessional : We are so inconsistent


I swear to God, sometimes I think somebody is gonna lose a limb!

We have reached a serious phase of the parenting that we are entirely unqualified for, that being, the part where we must deliver only consistent messages. Now me, despite what I say, I do read the parenting "literature". I am a parenting pragmatist but not completely without theory. I feel it is my responsibility, and good sport, to try to decode what the hell is going on with the kid. I go for the following: belief in the right of the child to a range of emotions; clear communication; redirecting incorrect behaviour; and, parental fortitude to get stuff done.

Papa-man's style is *under construction*. Let's just say it does take a lot from the shit shared between siring dads in the workplace.

When things go wrong 8 times out of 10 we offer different responses. I understand if we keep this up the child will eat us alive by the age of four. When we try to discuss the matters in front of our talkative child she is now prone to say "stop it".

What frustrates us most is our complete uncertainty that the divergent choices will ever become complimentary.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

Too tired to try for clever. Just saying hi. I keep sneezing.

9:49 p.m.  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

We're starting to run into the same problem in my house, but we have a little bit more time before it really becomes an issue. Although, if she gets used to eating chocolate cake for breakfast then the Hubby and I have got some serious talking in our future.

6:00 a.m.  
Blogger Granny said...

Naw, nobody would want that cat once they got to know her.

I am, however, meticulous about the cats of others.

7:55 p.m.  
Blogger Heather Bea said...

Now that S is home with the girls they respond to him so much better than me, however we have very, and I mean very, different styles. Sometimes it works out okay, but other times I think it is about to cause a major tiff in the family.

12:55 a.m.  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

I'm dreading dreading dreading that stage, for the same reasons. I wake up cold sweats thinking about it. I know that we'll - I'll be eaten alive. I know it.

Thanks - much - for the comment chez moi. Looking forward to *your* update. (Tapping foot impatiently...)

5:18 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home