Monday, April 17, 2006

Happy Easter

I do enjoy Easter. Drawn from the traditions of my mother's Ukrainian-Canadian family there is customarily, ha, a lot to do. First, of course, Lent then tons of food all interspersed with egg making. I was my family's one-woman Pysanka tradition preservation society. This means I used to make a dozen eggs up every spring for blessing and giving away. For weeks before hand I would sit crossed legged squinting into a candle heating my kistka of beeswax and thinking of the Uke chicks that came before me: my grandmother; her mother; my grandfather's sisters; and, others many of whom had lives laid waste by wars or by Communism. I would work long into these nights considering my good fortunes over those of my predecessors in the many years gone on. It involved a lot of legs falling asleep and good bit of smoking in my prenatal days. These eggs looked like this:


This year no 'official' Pysanky... Eggs made up were only hard boiled Krashanky, not blown; they were for our family not for others and they weren't trotted off to church for blessing by the priest I am currently in debate with over the concept of church 'membership' -- that is so another post! This year's eggs were painted by my nuclear family (what's that 78% Anglo?) and looked like this:


Most beautiful eggs ever! And, shout out a big hooray to Baba and Auntie Olga for coming through with the traditional breads to keep it all mystical without much work on my part for this year. I wish you all the very best in the coming spring and summer seasons. I hope many of you have enjoyed special time with your families over the holidays and more specifically Happy Easter to my compatriots in the Christian quagmire, where applicable.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

I'm applicable, I guess. Thanks. Beautiful eggs.

10:03 a.m.  
Blogger Sofrito said...

those eggs were truly works of ART! I'm so impressed, and moved that you worked on them as you pondered the lives & times of the women who came before you. I do that when I'm cooking.

Happy Easter to you too!

11:32 a.m.  
Blogger Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

I'm hoping to graduate to real eggs next year. This year we stuck to the cheap plastic ones.

They tried to eat them anyway.

11:37 a.m.  
Blogger GIRL'S GONE CHILD said...

Whaaaaaaa? Those eggs are perfect. Masterpieces I tell you.

6:53 p.m.  
Blogger L. said...

Wow. You could auction those off on your blog next Easter, and make enough to renovate your house!

I never figured out how to blow out the eggs without destroying them.

11:42 p.m.  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

My gawd those eggs are beautiful! Such a wonderful, if difficult, tradition. I haven't even graduated from the foil-covered chocolate kind yet.

5:06 a.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

lovely eggs! One of my personal favourite egg traditions was one my family picked up from an Estonian friend - wrapping them in onion skins and cheesecloth. They come out a gorgeuous mottled russte and gold.

5:42 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty!

The prettiest picture is that third one with the smile & the rosy cheeks!

5:27 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home