Friday, November 17, 2006

Sleep Tight

Finally, you hear about the sleep status of the nuthatch. Yes, I know you have all been waiting, right? I mean you are normal people who must wonder on a regular basis: does her baby sleep through the night? Everyone else asks me. Why not you?

Does my baby sleep through the night? Well... yes. And, no. He did a few weeks ago and now he keeps us guessing. So to be honest the answer is sometimes he does.

Today Mr. Little-Big-Guy is four months old and everyone and their dog looks at me with keen and cutting curiosity as they pose the question. At this juncture in our parenting career I am prepared to lie. I tell everyone, yes, yes, he does. So far it makes me feel -- as they say on the football circuit -- 110% better to just burst their judgmental-parenting balloon right there.

But truth be told between you and me Interwebs he has about a 64% success rate on the 9:30 to 5:30 bedtime program. GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!!!! At least, that's what I'm telling myself at the moment. Deep down in the pit of my insecure parenting gut I am wondering, why why?!? What is wrong with me? With him?

Nothing.

ps.. And a question.. you know he sleeps better in our bed than in the crib. Sometimes I think it is because I let him sleep on his side/stomach when I am monitoring him. Any feedback on this? Really kids tend to sleep best when the get mobile; is that because we are meant to sleep all bum stuck up in the air? When does the SIDS risk end? Would anyone confess to putting their babies to sleep tummy down these days?

Ah, maybe I should just let the cat nannies take care of it?

3 Comments:

Blogger the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

I know a lot of people who let their children tummy-sleep. I for one was SO GLAD when D finally rolled over so he could, too. But sometimes it takes the big guys a while.

I'm no help on the sleeping thing. D was an awesome sleeper--5 hours in a row right home from the hospital, and something like 9 hours one of those first weeks. But hold the hate, because apparently, I was so concerned about his not eating enough (um, hello. He was 20 lbs at 6 mos.) that I nursed every timehe'd wake up and he was up to 4 night wakings by a year.

Then one night after 6 wakings in 3 hours, we decided to do CIO, and we still have to do it from time to time. But he generally sleeps 11-12 hours now, and takes a good 2-3 hour nap (unless he's at the &^%$ preschool).

11:29 a.m.  
Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

You know...a baby is NOT expected to sleep through the night. They just don't work that way.
Plus their sleep changes as they grow and develop.

Caity never slept longer than two hours until recently.

I mean we HEAR about those babies that slept through the night from day one..but that is not the norm.

We all wish they did...but I haven't slept more than four hours at a stretch in four years.

1:07 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEAR HEAR (or is that HERE HERE) CC -- don't expect kidlets to sleep through the night, it's just not natural.. and stef, nursing on demand at night is just plain right.

7:14 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home