Friday, November 10, 2006

A Brief History of This Blog

A year ago I was facing a parenting crisis... Or was it parenting crises?? My daycare had just given notice, my job share partner dumped me and I was unexpectedly pregnant. FUCK!

It was in this context that I began casting around for evidence that parenthood was not the mind-numbingly-dumb-cakewalk of superwoman lore... Neither that is was the bucolic indulgence of some mythical stay-at-home-beastlies. It seemed it was complicated in my case... and then I found out it WAS complicated, in fact complex, tricky and unique in the 100+ cases I began reading about in blogs. So I started my own. A big thanks to you all for helping in your innumerable ways .. you know not how... Thanks to all you disorganized, angst[ed]-out, self-indulgent, witty, snotty, intimidating, inimitable, loving brothers and sisters out there. We were glad to not be alone.

Each of the issues back in Nov 2005 had me terrified and horrified. But with a bit of perspective -- and tell me what is the Internet good for if not for perspective??? -- we made it to a pretty glorious now. I pooh-poohed therapy in favour of this forum. It helped me find interim childcare. It helped me soldier on at work. And it made me rush to deliver the special Mr. Little-Big-Guy who surprised me a few weeks after his sister's first birthday.

So maybe this should have been called Your mission, should you choose to accept it...

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

I think things like the mommy blogs and the parenting forums do is help us realize that we can parent the way that WORKS for who we are and not who we THINK we should be.

It takes the competitiveness out of it all.

And instead you get support, ideas and confidence.

9:56 a.m.  
Blogger the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

Blogs ARE therapy. I would say "free" therapy, but only in the "free but not cheap" kind of way, you know?

12:48 p.m.  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Yeah, for the amount of time that one (cough*me*cough) can spend time on blogs I wouldn't necessarily call it "free" therapy, but it's pretty darn close. Shoot, without my stupid blog I'd be eating green jello in some white-walled institution somewhere.

4:33 p.m.  
Blogger nonlineargirl said...

I like that as an alternative slogan for your blog. I definitely feel a mission impossible-ness to parenting.

And crap, now I'm going to have that theme song in my head all afternoon.

1:20 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home