Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Daycare Update

I wrote last week that I am of the opinion that daycare is very advantageous for children age 11-20 months. For ages 36+ months not so much.

Some people wondered why I said this. Quite simply -- and hopefully not too rudely -- I'll say that when my kid was younger I didn't entirely care what she did or who she played with at daycare. It was much less complicated. Little guys just sort of play around each other. Also, when my first was first in daycare it was a really wonderful time for her, and me. She was exceedingly happy to be at work when I was at work. She didn't really need too much besides the nearby company of her 2 or 3 playmates plus the Little People garage 3 days a week.

Now she goes to a 3 to 5 year olds daycare with 24 other kids. It is a melee of dress up and MY TURN! and playgrounds, train sets and fashion statements. I nearly lost it when she came home last week singing "I'm a Barbie girl...". I am poised to become the whacko parent who wants to make it a Disney free zone. I've seen the embryonic bullying and I am pissed. What now?

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what the answer is, but I agree with you.

My mom taught preschool for 20 years and I sure wish she would un-retire & teach all my friends' kids.

6:02 a.m.  
Blogger Mad said...

Hey! I'm that whacko parent. At least for now. Until life beats me down into Disney stupefication.

For me, it's the food at day care. I choke back anger each time I walk in at snack time and see the shit they serve my daughter, shit that they try to pass off as nutrition. It doesn't help that we're vegetarians... Ack, better stop there; otherwise this comment will become a post.

6:46 a.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

I know where you are at with that completely. We're getting the "not my friend" and princesses and all of that now that she's moved up into a room with more and bigger kids. We're Disney-free at home, but suddenly she recognizes the ladies on her nightime pull-ups. What? Well, it's out there, I know she'll see it, but I still don't have to bring it home. Instead, I storytell her my versions of the fairy tales for now when she asks about them, and I can insert my editorials. Heh heh. And I also get to teach her a bit about navigating the minefields of childhood friendships a bit, because she talks to me about what's going on, so hopefully my voice is helping.

10:28 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can'tcha go the shared-nanny route?? I DESPISE the "princess" merchandising.

9:48 a.m.  
Blogger summerinmaypen said...

I AM JUST ABOUT TO GET MARRIED! PLEASE DON'T TELL ME THIS IS WHAT TO EXPECT!

1:20 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

from reading all the angst about child care...for those who have the choice to work or not...is that not the sacrifice you make?
Someone else with different values will be raising your child for the most part.....what can you do but strive to make sure as they get older that they have the understanding to differentiate their own homegrown values vs others.....and to handle things like marketing etc.

do you not have to just hope for the best in your daycare search?

But I am the oddball here...my daughter is disneyfied. my son is transformerfied.

Oh and I am the one providing childcare for a working mom.

I just hope to teach them the concept of marketing as they get older and in the meantime ride the storm and enjoy it at the same time.

1:02 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home