Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Busy is as busy does

I often joke that p-man is the UNITASKER!

I think it's catching.

We are still really reeling form the duo parenting when I figure we should have managed some upper-hand. Turning over the challenges this morning I think it is the unitasker thing. Girl Friday was always a great sleeper, for example, so we tend to put stuff on until the child-free minutes. Nowadays, many days can pass without child-free minutes. We have to find a way to do more stuff with the kids around. Besides they ain't gonna nap forever.

So far I have found they are reasonably helpful harmless when it comes to:
Doing Laundry
Sweeping
Vacuuming
Washing/Chopping veggies
Gardening

We need more suggestions though as we drown in our chores to 12 midnight a few days a week.

The other big mistake I am sure we are making is doing too much stuff together. I really hate this one. I like to do things together. But I think having two parents on deck at bathtime, for example, just isn't done, is it? We should be splitting up more to do dishes while the other does bedtime and stuff like that right?

When we got ready for #2 I was worried about stuff being 'too hard'. I always found some solace in the advice that my family was expanding. The addition should be seen as a plus not a minus. This advice has proved true in every area save household managment. God what I wouldn't give for an effective, and cheap, cleaning service. Where are you nutritious frozen foods? Whither be reliable babysitters and helpful relatives? I concede the two-hour houseclean days are over but cut me some slack on the personal hygine at least! I am happy as hell that 'skirt season' is over, such as it is. Have I washed my hair today this week?

Let this be a lesson to all of you how about two people.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try FOUR.
I have four kids four days aweek now.

school does not count as only have vanish for half the day.

I have found that you have to lower your standards a bit.

You also have to sometimes just go ahead and wash your hair/shower while they are rampaging around unsupervised.

I buy as much veg pre cut these days...I just don't have the time.

My house looks like a war zone...there really is not much I can do... I keep the kitchen and bathroom sanitary and keep the laundry flowing.

I find early mornings are better...I get the kids set up with breakfast and some cbc kids and I hit the cleaning.

I haven't figured out how to do this with an extra baby kicking around yet.

2:18 p.m.  
Blogger NotSoSage said...

I have no tips for you because...ahem...housework 'til midnight a few days a week? Well, you could go our route and just never do any until you're about to have guests over. And we only have one.

And I completely understand that you want to do things together. This is our biggest hurdle, I think. We get so little time together that it just seems like such a waste for one of us to go grocery shopping while the other stays home and takes the kid to the park. Sigh. The curse of living in a loving relationship.

6:25 p.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

i'm with sage. ON my dya off, I do laundry, run a load of dishes, sweep, maybe dust, and run errands. I do another load or two of laundry on the weekend, and everything else waits until it annoys me enough to deal with it.

10:35 a.m.  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

AH HA! Another reason not to have a second. I'm already constantly doing housework and running errands. Two might do me in.

6:12 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home