Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Mother-Woman Defined

Mother-Woman.

I have never thought that anything about my life would prove applicable to another's life. Don't think I am a hard-line individualist; that's not it. I just never saw the need for any other person to be able to operate as a p-man loving, tree-hugger, wo-grandma daughter, librarian, ad hoc home designer, womanly, gardener, feminist, cook, single-malt drinking, friend of the computers. The world need only one.

That was/is me.

The thing about being a Mother-Woman is it crosses over. It translates? Dwelling and inhabiting (literally) the commune... the community. It is not just a piece of each of my offspring that I gave over to society with those final pushes but also myself.

My potential resentment of the fact has likely kept this realization on the fringes for about four years. But facts are facts, that's just the way I am.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should call yourself Woman-Mother -- putting your labels in order of sanity-saving importance.

6:41 p.m.  
Blogger Mad said...

aside from the "p-man loving" adjective (and who doesn't love p-man, really), your definition of you could be me. How odd is that? I think we should have a single malt together and discuss.

As for the rest. I've been a feminist lo these many long years. Nothing has rocked my notions of womanhood and how I fit into the picture quite like motherhood. I rejoice in it. I resent it. Most of all I am happy that I am not alone in it.

11:05 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home