Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Design Tuesday: Da Kitchen

My Dad built the house I grew up in, with my grandpas. If you ask my mom, or me for that matter, we say it took 22 years to finish. I am used to renovation, construction, destruction what have you. I like it.

My favorite thing to do is probably a kitchen. Our last year reno was our third kitchen as a couple and I am really beyond pleased with how it turned out. Amazing what having some money to do it can do to my ego. Oh, yeah that and getting off the DIY train.

"But, what do you think?", I wonder. And do note there are a couple things outstanding. Maybe I need the advice of the Internet to get this kitchen just so and not have finishes lingering for 20+ years like my Dad!

Before Hall
DSCN3648.JPG

After Hall


Before Floor


After Floor
DSCN3870.JPG
Doesn't Dexter look so much more content?

The Old Cramped Kitchen
DSCN3647.JPG

Hey, Ma. Get a job! We need to redo this kitchen!!!
La Nouvelle Cuisine!



My top 10 Favorite Design Points in this Room
1. Pantry with a sliding door.
2. Beautiful glass tile from Bedrock. That link includes the design that first turned us on to their stuff.
3. Water dispenser on the outside of the fridge. We had a party last week and it was perfect to keep guests of my way. Never mind I think Britas suck.
4. Hell I even like tap water. I do like my entry level Grohe faucet. Not too expensive and very stylish + practical! Make that very Eurostylish!
5. The beech floor turned out great. I briefly was convinced I was going to use that brick tone quarry tile like you get in restaurants but this is actually lower maintence. No maintenance is my design style every time now.
6. The custom matching millwork our cabinetmakers did.
7. The adequate lighting installed by awesome electricians. Me likey the good trades.
8. Clean lines of a modern design but casual; not a really hard modern aesthetic.
9. That righteous pull out bread board with 85lb load stopped glides and a two inch butcher block.
10. The peninsula cubbies for my dinner dishes.

Now in this photo you'll see I have my pass through peninsula counter... well there actually is no counter. That is where I need help. We are undecided. I have the fancy white quartz composite in the kitchen proper but this area is actually more a part of my dining room. My current plan is to redo the adjacent fireplace surround in slate. Could I use slate for the peninsula? Would that be a good service surface? What would the other choices be? I specifically rejected using the composite there because I didn't want white. The dining room is white and I feel I need some contrast to sort of ground that spot, all the while tying it to the kitchen.

What are your ideas? Believe me, I have hit real design fatigue. HELP!




And, we need a nice new fixture over our dining table? Oh yeah and a new dining table?...Wow it's damn handy I have an income again.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Mad said...

Wow. Just wow.

I love the tile. Oh and the floors blending so well with the cabinets is so very pleasing to the eye.

Now if only my contractor would get back to me...

6:10 a.m.  
Blogger Lumpyheadsmom said...

Really gorgeous.

11:50 a.m.  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Love, love, LOVE IT.

Love the tile. Love the floors. Love it all.

Seriously.

12:18 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing but awe from over here. Truly beautiful.

1:28 p.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Wow. If we lived in the same area, I'd totally be asking you for names.

But yes, I think slate would work.

9:28 a.m.  
Blogger nonlineargirl said...

Lovely! Plus, now when I break into your house I will know where to get water.

2:01 p.m.  
Blogger Bon said...

i am drooling, and have absolutely no helpful advice about the slate and the peninsula since i think of peninsulas as land formations and think absolutely anything you put in that gorgeous room is going to look lovely.

swoon.

9:56 a.m.  
Blogger CroutonBoy said...

Very, very nice. I dig the tile especially. I'll bet you feel like eating out more so you don't mess it up...

6:30 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home