Thursday, January 11, 2007

Recommended title: My Mama Says




My mama says there aren't any zombies, ghosts, vampires, creatures, demons, monsters, fiends, goblins, or things

Viorst, Judith
Atheneum, or Aladdin 1973
Subjects: Mothers -- Fiction; Monsters -- Fiction
ISBN: 0689301022 (Atheneum); 0689712049 (Aladdin : pbk.)

Sort of a lesser known Viorst gem (after Alexander) this book came to us from p-man's young step-brother's library. My MIL shared it with our Girl Friday and at first I didn't like it. But really this is a great book. I use it strategically when I have one of those days when either me, or the kids, need a reminder about the Mama inside the monster. Really the world needs more books with Mamas that are less than perfect.

But how does she know when she can't even drive me to
Christopher's house without getting lost on the way?
So, sometimes even Mamas make mistakes.


...ps. My Mama don't like this book either don't take her book reviews; trust me.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Mad said...

Mo-Wo, I will have to track this down. Have you seen Monster Mama by Liz Rosenberg (Philomel, 1993)?

Thanks also from Miss M for the additional suggestions. I'm also going to try her with Olivia soon.

7:27 a.m.  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

Well, given that so many mamas (ahem) ARE less than perfect...

7:42 p.m.  
Blogger Andrea said...

I like the sounds of this book. I may have to find it and set it asaids for my daughters coming terrible years. they have started. bllaaa
Have I ever mentioned that I just love your book reviews? Well I do!

11:01 p.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Hmmm. I'm looking at it now, and I am not sure. There are things I like about it and things I don't. On the plus side, I do like the whole Alexander series, and I think it has that same authentically complainy feel to it. On the minus side, it doesn't seem that reassuring at all... maybe even fodder for NEW nightmares!

Then again, I guess I'm looking at it for the younger kids (Pumkpinpie, storytime @ the library) that I usualyl read for, but I can see that a 7-year-old, for example, would think it was pretty right on.

12:43 p.m.  
Blogger mo-wo said...

you know what Kittenpie.. I thought she might get scared too but it is girl friendly I guess. Miss E. is only 2 and she is not scared of the monsters since she seems really firm in the belief they are over at Nick's house.. and that they are after little boys?? or something.

Or maybe she is pretty monster tolerant thanks to Bert's advice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlcwU97euq8

1:53 p.m.  
Blogger Granny said...

Less than perfect? That sure is good to know.

8:26 p.m.  
Blogger Heather in Beautiful BC said...

Hey, I just came through via Wet Coast Woman to say hi. It's great to meet more BC bloggers!

10:37 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this book, and my son does, too - it's such a good one. My husband had it as a kid and remembers it scaring the bejebus out of him, but we haven't had problems at my house (maybe he was just a nervous kid). Anyway, I also highly recommend Viorst's The Tenth Good Thing About Barney, too, if you haven't read it - just like this one it's not as famous as Alexander, but sad and wonderful.

6:33 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home