Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Object Permanence


I have decided that it is true what they say. You do hold back your second child's development. Take for example my current relationship with object permanence. When my daughter was small I remember the look of abject terror as I disappeared behind a colander. (You know I took the suggestion of some book to do that.) I diligently tested her to nail the concept of object permanence as I was programmed to do.

My son will never go through that.

In his case I simply don't want him to help him learn the lesson. I have deemed object permanence is, in fact, my enemy. Another book tells me that he might "object if a toy is taken away", at his age. MIGHT??? He has definitely achieved this dubious cognitive achievment. Yes, he has mastered complaining. And, just in time for him to forge desires for all things no-no like the remote control, the phone(s), sister's picture books, papa's pocket change, etc. etc. I see my chance for object disappearance fleeting but still present. I have that superpower to make it all go away and I enjoy it this time. I'll drag it out, thank you.

For just like everything this phase is fleeting. On to my next issue... Where exactly do I stand on crawling? Important or no?

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Mad said...

Crawling is definitely over-rated. My girl never did it--just bum schooched.

This post is quite funny. I've been mulling over for some time writing a post about my daughter's stand-off with object permanence. She is two and still cheats at peek-a-boo. It's as if she's still not quite willing to but what we are selling.

8:29 a.m.  
Blogger Mad said...

"to buy what we are selling" Ack. At least I didn't type "butt".

8:29 a.m.  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

You're right, we are so quick to have our firstborns learn everything. With the second, you know what's coming so you try to hold back.

Crawling? Being mobile? Try to hold off on that one as long as possible. Yeah, right, like you have control over that, HA!

2:59 a.m.  
Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

My mom was always going on that we weren't paying the same attention to Caity's milestones like we did with Adam.

I disagreed..we were watching her grow and develop. We just weren't being so anal and stupid and freaking over following development lists in baby books.

And yeah..crawling. Adam hardly crawled...just got up.
Caity bum scooted forever.

Maybe she will grow up wrong.
Mom said i did.

11:20 a.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Heh. We used to joke that if Pumpkinpie showed signs of walking, we'd knock her legs out from under her to slow her down. She was never much of a crawler - that was for when cruising was not possible and she had to give in to bridge the gap.

7:22 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bah. Had nice comment all written, and blogger lost it.

"Fleeting". Good word. Stages are to be savoured, not hastened. Which lesson took me three kids to learn. Probably why my third is such a cheery kid.

2:48 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bah. Had nice comment all written, and blogger lost it.

"Fleeting". Good word. Stages are to be savoured, not hastened. Which lesson took me three kids to learn. Probably why my third is such a cheery kid.

2:48 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home