Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Tyranny of Rest

Another day. Another hard fought battle with the sandman.

Today, admittedly was not the worst. Little boy had a spectacular nap, now that I have finally figured out "naptime" is 11 am. But little girl came home from my in-laws in that semi-sleepwalker state that makes her really hard to put to bed. And grandpeople2 were here at the time.. so naptime with her took a freakin' hour to accomplish.

"We really wore her out!" they always declare. I smile a weak smile. "Yeah thanks."

Overtired is my favorite. Though there are the others. The poop break fake-out. The belch plugged infant. The shifting sleep schedules of sibling rivalry. Oh, please don't learn to say Mama right now! Your sister is trying to go down for her nap.

I am not the first, and I certainly won't be the last to note that all this sleep chasing is pretty tiring. Now in a few weeks my son (you know the 25lb 7 month old?) will finally have his own room and my battles will extend into the night. It is seriously a fear of mine. Seems so silly to be afraid of the childrens' sleep but I can't shield myself from this the most oft judged parenting challenge. The tyranny of it all. So many days I think it is the kids that wish I would not move about at the precise moment of dropping off; or that he get 3 minutes more suckle before droppage to the mattress or that we lay together, even. I think they are the ones driving me crazy. But no, they are not the tyrants at all. Instead it is the gaggle of know-it-alls live and in print that frighten me.

The kids could take it or leave it. Maybe I should too.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Overtired sucks. I'm going through Day 3 of overtired myself. Very short naps. Very short. I feel your pain, sort of. I can't imagine juggling two kid's nap schedules.

5:58 p.m.  
Blogger NotSoSage said...

Oh, god, I hate overtired. How can grandparents, who ostensibly raised at least one child, themselves, not remember what that was like? Impossible.

6:36 a.m.  
Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

Wait till they don't nap and still get overtired.

Dinner time is a blast here.

11:07 a.m.  
Blogger Mad said...

Hey, I just wrote about sleep tonight too. And Sin did yesterday. There's a ripple a-formin'

Nap? Could someone please explain to me what a nap is?

Damn, that's one big baby.

8:28 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home